Eagle / rpm rods

-

Johnny from Chicago

Reaction score
Anyone used these rods? And are they good to 700 or 800 horse like they say, or would I be better off with my six pack rods? My 13:1 roller 440 should be around 600 horse, but I'm sure I'll want more.

There are several technical writings on 6 pack rods vs. Hbeams. Actually the rotating mass of 6pac didnt really help, furthermore the "susposed" strength from 6pac rods over regular rods weren't ever proven factually. They looked nice but that was about it. You can obtain H beams from various mfg's for 400.00 and less. I would suggest the H Beams. To top that off, there are several rod lengths to use. Several like CAT, Herbert ect ect, offer them in 6.76, 6.86, 7.10 for gain on rod ratios. Pistons are also available for the same combos. I've gone 7.250 Billet Crower rods and the rod ratio is wonderful.

I've run Eagles in 2 engines, I know of several guys in my area that run them. My 446 makes around 585 -600 hp stock crank stock caps 3450lbs ,5 years , I would guess 250-300 runs.
A buddy i race with has them in his 528, for 2 years and 2 years before in a 446, the 528 makes about 750 hp.
Other running a bb chevy(yech) supercharged 1200hp, hasn't broken it yet.
What ever rod you decide to run, have a competent machine shop check them out.

Jim

The H beams arent bad, and stand up pretty well. The I beams depnding on manufacturer are a better material, but the finish machining can leave a little to be desired..(I havent used the I beams...but builders I know have, and the ones that check, find inconsistancies). The 6 pac rods are heavy, and beefy, but, use the same smaee rod bolts..SO strength wise, they are not as strong as an LY rod. (the bolts will fail first..) You can use better bolts, but they are still very heavy. LY rods will hold 500-500hp easy, but should be replaced beyond that.

-
Back