Eagle SIR6123CB rods Vs stock.

-

Barra_67

Reaction score
Hi all,
Wondering how the Eagle SIR6123CB rods compare to stock? I have a 318 I am collecting parts for to get rebuilt. By the time I get new rod bolts and have rods resized it’s probably worth buying a new set. Aiming for high 300HP 318. Hopefully 400HP. The 318 is from 1982 and I believe same rods used in the 360?

I had a set in a 500hp 360, spun it to 7 thou on a regular basis. What pistons are you planning to use? They are quite a bit lighter than stock rods, you will need to balance your rotating assembly.

I had a set in a 500hp 360, spun it to 7 thou on a regular basis. What pistons are you planning to use? They are quite a bit lighter than stock rods, you will need to balance your rotating assembly.
Yes. Will definitely get balanced. Looking at the KB167 pistons.

My 340 has a set in it with Diamond pistons, I shifted it at 6400 but it saw 6700 several times. If I ever rebuild it I'll change the bolts.

Nothing wrong with stock rods for that application.
The truth is that you don't always need to resize a rod when you change a rod bolt.
Sounds like a lot of people are getting screwed on price when having a hole honed...

I had a set of factory rods shot peened and resized with ARP rod bolts for my stock stroke 360 build. Think the shop I used charged $12 bucks a rod. Plus what I paid at summit for the ARP bolts.

I had a set of factory rods shot peened and resized with ARP rod bolts for my stock stroke 360 build. Think the shop I used charged $12 bucks a rod. Plus what I paid at summit for the ARP bolts.
Some shops can't do rods or for some reason just don't like to do rods, or if they do them, somehow they manage to **** up the job.
So they over quote or aim customers in the direction of new rods, and then mark up the price for doing no work..
I've done a lot of engines where I have just changed out the rod bolts and run them with no distortion to the rod bore.

Now we have a cam shortage, just wait till we have a rod shortage LOL :)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with stock rods for that application.
The truth is that you don't always need to resize a rod when you change a rod bolt.
Sounds like a lot of people are getting screwed on price when having a hole honed...
My machine shop always resized the rods when he replaced the bolts

$12 a rod for what you had done to them? How long ago was this

Some shops can't do rods or for some reason just don't like to do rods, or if they do them, somehow they manage to **** up the job.
So they over quote or aim customers in the direction of new rods, and then mark up the price for doing no work..
I've done a lot of engines where I have just changed out the rod bolts and run them with no distortion to the rod bore.

Now we have a cam shortage, just wait till we have a rod shortage LOL :)
Lunati has cams. You can order a custom grind cam

This is what I did to my factory rods, I also had them hone the small end and add an oiling hole for the pin so I could run the KB167s floating.
Cost me $360AUD including the cost of the ARP rod bolts - just over half the price of the scat rods quoted above. (Plus you would probably have an extra $200 in shipping & import tax on top of the purchase price on those)
I reckon the stock rods would be fine for what the OP is doing.

This is what I did to my factory rods, I also had them hone the small end and add an oiling hole for the pin so I could run the KB167s floating.
Cost me $360AUD including the cost of the ARP rod bolts - just over half the price of the scat rods quoted above. (Plus you would probably have an extra $200 in shipping & import tax on top of the purchase price on those)
I reckon the stock rods would be fine for what the OP is doing.
Where did you get them done mate. I can get the new rods for $400 AUD.

They were done by JOH engineering in Ipswich QLD - small shop but do good work for a reasonable price.
If you can get a new set for $400 (seems kinda cheap compared to when I was looking) then I guess it's up to you which way you go, but preped stock units will handle 400hp just fine.

Where are the Eagle rods made? ...and where does the metal come from?

Everything is made in China now.:(
Well no. There's Callies and Carrillo and a few others made here, but they are not cheap.

I think between those Eagle rods and stock reconditioned rods, I'd take the stock rods. The Eagles are, after all spiffed up stock style rods. Bonafide Chrysler rods, even used, are made out of some pretty good stuff.

Well no. There's Callies and Carrillo and a few others made here, but they are not cheap.

I think between those Eagle rods and stock reconditioned rods, I'd take the stock rods. The Eagles are, after all spiffed up stock style rods. Bonafide Chrysler rods, even used, are made out of some pretty good stuff.
Quality isn't cheap. If I have a choice I would buy the American made products over China

-
Back