Early 273 questions

-

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm in the process of reinstalling the rebuilt original 273 in my '64 Barracuda. I was reinstalling the distributor and ran into a problem. When I removed it I had marked the no.1 plug and and the way it was mounted in the car. I made sure that the engine is at TDC on no. 1 cylinder but something doesn't look right with the way the rotor is pointing and where the no. 1 wired is on the cap which is at about the 4 o'clock position looking down on the cap. The vacuum advance is pointing towards the front left. But when I compare it to my '65 Barracuda and it's Commando engine the vacuum advance is on the rear near the firewall pointing towards the right side. So my question is which one is correct? Vacuum adv. on the back side or pointing towards the front.
Also, does anyone know of a source for radiator hoses with the parts nos. on them. I found heater hoses for a '66 which I would accept but I can't seem to find the hoses for the radiator. And it's an a/c car too so I know it needs a different shape hose. Thanks, Steve

Some ranting and raving:

1.....Is there ANY chance? (of course there is!!!) that the balancer has slipped or is the wrong one? Therefore CHECK it with a piston stop

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714540100&stc=1&d=1347066506

2.....With the timing marks on TDC, look down in the distributor hole. The drive gear is supposed to be nearly parallel to the crank, pointing to the far front driver side manifold bolt. This is not mandatory, but is "by the book." If it is wrong, use a screwdriver to "walk" the gear up out of the helix and move it a tooth or however

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81848&stc=1&d=1347685574

3.....You MUST have the no1 piston on compression. There are TWO ways to find out.

A.... If you have either valve cover off, look at the no1 and no6 valves with the TDC mark aligned. Look carefully and wrench the engine a few degrees. If they move, they are not closed. You want both no1 valves closed

B....The second way is to remove the no1 plug, and stick your finger in the hole. "Bump" the engine 'round until you feel compression. Stop immediately. You may have to "go round" a couple of times to get the feel of things

4.....NOW wrench the engine up NOT to TDC, but rather WHERE you want timing set. If you have a "stocker" cam, about 10-12 BTC or a bit more. If you have a "hot" cam, about 15 BTC or a bit more

5....KNOW THAT not all distributors have the drive tang aligned with the rotor the same. You may NOT be able to use the "proper" by the book cap tower for no1. THIS DOES NOT MATTER.

Drop the dist in so that the vacuum can has plenty of room to "swing" and the rotor points "to front."

RETARD the dist. body by rotating CW (small block) and then SLOWLY advance (CCW) until the points just open. Use a test lamp or ohmeter. If you have breakerless, advance until the reluctor tip is aligned with the center of the core.

6.....Now look and install / uninstall the cap and determine which cap tower the rotor is just approaching from "coming round CW." THIS IS your no1 cap tower

Once you learn to to the above correctly, the engine WILL START without further messin' with the timing.

You can also use a timing light "on the starter" to see where timing is

-
Back