Early 318 damper

-

kzcountry

Reaction score
A friend of mine is rebuilding is early or mid 60's 318 in his truck
It has a small damper and a crack. He is wanting to replace it with a another small one but cannot find one. Can he use a larger damper 7.25 style ?? Thanks for your help.

As long as it is from an internally balanced 318, he's good, but there are differences in year models regarding timing mark locations due to different timing covers.

That said, I agree with trying to stick with the small one. They are overall lighter and have less weight on the reciprocating mass. That's always a good thing.

A friend of mine is rebuilding is early or mid 60's 318 in his truck
It has a small damper and a crack. He is wanting to replace it with a another small one but cannot find one. Can he use a larger damper 7.25 style ?? Thanks for your help.
There were some early 318 poly engines in trucks that didn't even use a harmonic balancer. They had a hub with a pulley welded to it. Assuming he has a standard aluminum timing cover, the later large balancer should work fine as long as you also include the later bolt-on timing indicator too. I would still verify TDC by using a piston stop and remark the balancer as necessary.

-
Back