Early 70's Disc's to 73+ Disc's

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
I have a tired old set of kelsey hayes disc brakes on the front of my 72 Duster. Recently, digging through some items I inherited, I came across a set of 73+ bbp brakes.

Upgrading the front brakes have been on the agenda for quite some time now. The way I see it i have 3 options:
1 - Rebuild existing brakes.
2 - Rebuild 73+ brakes and adapt to fit.
3 - Order new set up from dr. Diff / other after market and pay for shipping / inflated prices (I am in Canada)

I am leaning a bit towards option 2, but have not been able to locate into about someone doing a KH to 73+ swap.

I understand they mount in different positions and the sway bar needs to be considered as well as the ball joints. In addition to the bolt pattern size.

I currently have 15" skinny rims on the front that are the sbp, and don't want to change them.

Is it possible to put the 73+ brakes on and keep the sbp set up?

No, the 73 rotors are BBP and I don't think anyone is retro-fitting "backwards" like that. (don't hang your hat on this answer, I've been wrong before)

Last edited:
If you ask me, one of the bonuses of swapping up is to get the BBP and large ball joints. It sucks if you already have nice wheels.
You will have to change the spindles but will the early rotors fit the late spindle? Im not sure, not familiar with the KH stuff.

I have a tired old set of kelsey hayes disc brakes on the front of my 72 Duster. Recently, digging through some items I inherited, I came across a set of 73+ bbp brakes.

Upgrading the front brakes have been on the agenda for quite some time now. The way I see it i have 3 options:
1 - Rebuild existing brakes.
2 - Rebuild 73+ brakes and adapt to fit.
3 - Order new set up from dr. Diff / other after market and pay for shipping / inflated prices (I am in Canada)

I am leaning a bit towards option 2, but have not been able to locate into about someone doing a KH to 73+ swap.

I understand they mount in different positions and the sway bar needs to be considered as well as the ball joints. In addition to the bolt pattern size.

I currently have 15" skinny rims on the front that are the sbp, and don't want to change them.

73 and up takes different upper and lower ball joints, and 73 and up control arms as well. 73 and up disc brakes also take a different master cylinder I think. I have both set ups on my a body small bolt and big bolt, the big bolt discs are better, but the 72 small bolt pattern get the job done too. I would put some new rotors clean the calipers flush the brake lines new pads and a new master on the set up you already have and run it.

-
Back