Early 80's 360 driver

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

My teenage son and I are beginning a restoration of a 74 Duster.
It is a 318 car with 904 trans and 8.25 rear. The car is now basically a roller with the original 318 block still in the car along with the stock trans and rear. This car has had some parts removed before we found it but it is solid.
We are building a new home and are living in a condo with no garage until the new house is complete. The car is in a relative garage for the time being.

I was able to find an early 80's 360 that was running great when the truck it was in was hit and totaled. This motor is all stock as well.
Our plan is to pull the 318 block out of the car and restore the engine bay ASAP. Followed by stripping all the vacuum and smog stuff from the 360, leaving the stock heads and intake, cleaning and painting it then dropping it in the car. with having it be able to move under its own power the next time our relative needs his garage.
I don’t want to waste time or money and I can see leaving the stock 360 in the car all through the restoration project.

My question is, What would you guys do to a stock 80's 360 just to make it more fun to drive for awhile without messing with the heads for now?
I have seen references made that these motors had smog heads. What does that mean, and how can that be dealt with?
What can we do to this motor to give it a little rumble without tearing it down right now?
Many people have told me don’t even think of staying with the Thermo Quad, and I think that’s pretty good advise.
This is what I'm thinking:
· mild cam
· small Holley
· headers
I could use some suggestions as to what carb would be a good match using that stock intake, and what cam you may suggest given the heads are staying on for now.

I cant make out the casting numbers on the 360, but I'm posting pics of the motor, Thermo Quad, and exhaust manifolds with hope someone can tell me what I have as far as the 360 goes.

We also need some help with starter/ignition wiring goes due to the fact some of the ignition wiring such as the starter relay and electronic ignition module seem to have been donated to another car along the way.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• ex manifold casting.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
  • block casting#.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 122
  • casting block #.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 122
  • donor 360.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Early 80's 360.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 129
  • right ex manifold.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 126
  • TQ stamp.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 114
  • tubing from rear of ex manifold.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 125
  • interior as purchased.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 122
And another thing.........What's the best degreaser to use on that filthy old pig in the pitures?

AND, My buddy at the local Dodge dealer thinks that an 84 era motor would run nice with a Mopar blue print cam 4452782 in it with the stock heads and intake......any thoughts?

More fun to drive ehh? Well I would keep it simple, new eddy airgap intake, eddy 1405 or 1406 carb, and a set of headders. Possibly upgrade the ignition system on the car as well.

I think, if it was me, I'd change the oil pan and pickup (318 pass car will not work... you need a 360 passenger pan) and leave it alone until such time as you have the time, place, and money. A good runner is perfect. Get it so it can go right in, and run it. Stick the headers on it, if you want to upgrade the intake and carb, but don't break into it beyond that.

-
Back