Early A 17's

-
To get a 17X9 on the front you would need about 6.3" of back spacing on the wheel to have the tire not hit the outside fender lip. The problem with 17" and smaller diameter wheels is the outer tie rod end will hit the wheel or tire with more than about 5" of back spacing.

The picture below is a 18X9 wheel on a 72 Dart with 6.3" of backspacing. This only works because that tie rod end will fit inside the larger 18" wheel diameter.

You might be able to get a 17X9 to fit with less back spacing but it will probably require fender lip modifications to avoid rubbing issues.

Attachments

• 1972 Dart 067.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 336
We'll crap the wheels I am looking into are available in a 17x8, but they have 5.95 backspace. So.... what about theses guys that are putting the mustang 5 spokes on em? Are they available in 7" cuz I can only find 8s:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

We'll crap the wheels I am looking into are available in a 17x8, but they have 5.95 backspace. So.... what about theses guys that are putting the mustang 5 spokes on em? Are they available in 7" cuz I can only find 8s:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

the mustang wheels won't fit completely over the hub and seat down without modification. Some guys are running spacers to make them fit for both the backspacing and hub problem I think. 17X8 you can probably run longer studs and a somewhat wide spacer (possible up to 1"" to make it work). If you do a search there is some long threads about 17" wheels that can probably help you understand what all is involved with the mustang wheels on a "A" body for both front and rear.

Sorry I meant 17x9 had 5.95 backspace. Man I guess I gotta do some research I was hoping to take the lazy way out on this one. Lol. Thanks for the input man!!

The stang 17 x 8 wheels came in at least two backspaces. I've discovered that evidently you can tell the older, shallower backspace from the newer, deeper backspace by looking at the valve stem.

On the older wheels with the 5.75 or so backspace the valve stem "cuts into" the polished part of the outer wheel rim

On the newer wheels with the more than 6" backspace, the valve stem is up further towards the center and does not impinge in the polished outer rim

So far as the hub interferance, both sets I've got (2 older, 4 newer) have a sort of 'lip' immediately inside the center bore of the wheel. Once you remove this lip which is maybe? only about 1/8" thick, and maybe 3/8? down into the bore, and you can do so with a die grinder, the hub is then large enough to fit the disk hubs. You will need a spacer.

Read the thread, particularly post no 10............the reason I did not need spacers for my 2 older ones on the rear is because of the Ford Versailles axle I'm using........which is a bit wider than Mopar A body axles

Some rambling on the subject

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=237684

Thanks 67. Out of curiosity, has anyone had a chance to compare the production mustang 8s (early or later) side by side with the aftermarket black copies on eBay? I'm just wondering if I worked it out to run stock pony wheels on the front powder coated to match the aftermarkets if you could tell the difference. Maybe that way I could save some coin on the fronts and be able to have a 10.5 on the back. Again thanx for all the input on this guys!!!:prayer:

I have not. Frankly I would "much prefer" the traditional wheels. But example, the 14" ETs I had on the car this summer not only barely clear the calipers, but are really, "too much" offset "outwards." I had to REALLY "choose" tires so they didn't hit the front fender lip, and even then have to be a little careful "tromping" into driveway ramps fast.

I went through the same dilemma with the 65 dart that I'm building. in my opinion the 17 inch wheels never have the backspacing you need and clear the upper control arm. And will interfere with the outer tie rod. I ended up using 18s for my build. 18x8 up front and 18x9.5 in the rear

Thanks guys. After hearing your guys experience and reading some of the previous threads on the subject, I think I might start looking into some 18s

-
Back