early a 5 speed converson

-

ram45red

Reaction score
What cars will have a 5 speed and what parts do I need to convert my 61 valiant /6 3 speed to a 5 speed ?

With a /6 you are pretty much locked into the later A833 o/d trans. The later truck 5 speeds were for V/6-V8 bellhousing.

You'll need the OD. bellhousing with the OD since the OD bellhousing has the bigger opening to fit the OD. It's practically a bolt in.

I've done two conversions & seen 30 mpg on occassion in hilly N.E.

833 OD came in alum & cast iron versions in model years from 75 to 87 for various cars & trucks...Darts, Volare, Aspen, Dodge truck

Your best pick would be an alum version to keep down the weight.

You might have to make up a new driveshaft...my two 65 Darts with 904 originally did need new driveshafts when the 833 OD were installed.

Note the flywheel on early model slants have a smaller crankshaft hub provision than the 67 & up models so you must have a flywheel to fit your situation......adapting a 70's and later flywheel to a mid 60's slant won't work.

Well, it isn't as easy as bolting it on. There are other modifications.

You need to get the OD bellhousing, but you need to bring the bellhousing and the input shaft retainer to a machininst so they can turn down the outer diameter of the retainer to match the bellhousing.

You'll probably also need to modify your driveline. Since your car is a 1961, then you most likely have the ball and trunnion style connection to the driveline. It will need to re-lengthened and fitted with a slip-yoke. Any driveline shop can do this. I spent $100 for this, and that price seems typical.

Also, you'll need to hunt down shift rods that connect your shifter to the transmission. I now forget which, but when I swapped in an A883OD I had to replace two of them. I think only the reverse rod was kept. The new rods have a different orientation and 3rd/4th gear is flipped, so at least that rod needs to be replaced.

While you're thinking about this, the OD bellhousing is probably going to be a 10.5" housing because most OD transmissions arrived after 1975 for cars (avoid the truck 833). Can your 1961 accommodate a 10.5" bellhousing?

If so, then you also need a different shift fork and pivot. Brewer's Performance can sell you what you need.

Good luck!

What is your existing rear end gear ratio now?

You could run a 64 - 65 4 speed with the 3.09 first gear and a tall rear end gear and maintain the ball and trunion setup. Any decent driveline shop can make you a slip shaft ball and trunion drive shaft.

Heck, you may even be able to just use your existing drive shaft setup on the swap. It also appears from this article you may be able to use your existing bell housing!?

Then you can have the net effect of an overdrive via the gear ratios in the transmission and rear end.

The early 4 speeds are around and cheap too. The only mod is to have a bearing retainer adapter ring machined out or possibly buy one online (if you plan to use a 75 up slant 6 bell housing).

1964 thru midyear 1966 A-body 3.09:1 - 1.92:1 - 1.40:1 - 1:1 = G/RG and LA engines. (These all used a 4.35" IBR.) 1964 thru 1970 B/RB engine 2.66:1 - 1.91:1 - 1.39:1 - 1:1 = (The "close ratio" V8 gearbox)
1970 T/A & AAR 340s 2.47:1 - 1.77:1 - 1.34:1 - 1:1, = 1970 thru 1974 high performance
(A 2.44 first gear was also produced in this time period and some units had 1.91:1 second gears.)
1975 thru 1987 Overdrive 3.09:1 - 1.67:1 - 1:1 - 0.73:1 (Trucks used a 0.71:1 fourth)

here is the full article:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

While you are reading the above article at slantsix.org also search the forum. There are many many many ways to install a 5 speed (or even 6 speed) box into a slant powered a body. The most common/popular is the t-5 trans from a 80's era mustang. But there are other choices available. On slantsix.org do a forum search for trans swap and username "sandyinbc" he did a real good writeup on installing one into a 65 valiant several years ago, I don't believe his was a t-5 but the concept is the same.

While I do like the 833 parts are not exactly common or cheap. You can still buy a brand new WC t-5 and junkyard units are plentiful. 5 speed boxes don't give you the huge ratio drops that come with the 833 od or 833 wide ratio units.

-
Back