Early A Alterktion guys...

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
I started a suggestion thread on Bills RMS site. If ya oun an early A alterktion and want an anti-sway bar for it, make note of it on the thread. Bill only buys in bulk, and if we can get enough of us to show a desire for one, maybe he will order use some. Anybody?

One of these days I'll probably try and get one for an early 392 Hemi and my early A. I'm way to poor for that kind of dreaming for now.

Lee

Check out the early A body Tubular K frame set up at www.capautoproducts.com Fits like a glove!

Early A post.jpg

abodyjoe said:
but it still has torsion bars,steering box,center link, pitman arm , idler arm and strut rods... its not a good comparrison..

I just by chance have my copy of Mopar Muscle open to the CAP ad right now, and yes, as abodyjoe has already said, you're paying over two grand for a spiffy looking version of the same old stuff - K-member, control arms, motor mounts and struts. Add on disc brakes, shocks, torsion bars with seals, and you're looking at paying a lot more than you would for an Alter-K-ation.

CAP might be a good idea if you alraedy have spent the money on new stock parts with a disc brake kit and then discovered that your K-member is cracked or rusted out, but you really can't beat Bill's AlterK for the price. I have yet to buy one, but I've done plenty of research between AlterK, Magnumforce and others in the last few months.

I already have an Alterktion, i just need an anti-sway bar. As far as the Cap unit, hmmmmm is it really a few grand just for the k-member?

10secondart said:
Check out the early A body Tubular K frame set up at www.capautoproducts.com Fits like a glove!

thanks for re-inventing the wheel....lol

seriously if i'm gonna spend 2 grand , and have the clunks steering box, and t-bars inb the way?? no thanks...

I think its a nice looking k member and might be worth it if you got some other suspension items with it.

Dodgenut64 said:
I think its a nice looking k member and might be worth it if you got some other suspension items with it.

With torsion bars running at $300 a pair and a stock rubber front-end rebuilt kit costing close to $400 ( not including a sway bar ), you're coming up short, and still have to spend more money on brakes unless you've already tossed the drums.

By the time that you're done, you'll pay more for the CAP kit and whatever you order for brakes/suspension/steering from other companies than what you'd pay for an Alter-K.

Dodgenut64 said:
I already have an Alterktion, i just need an anti-sway bar. As far as the Cap unit, hmmmmm is it really a few grand just for the k-member?

As advertised:

K frame only - $1650
K frame package ( includes K frame, aluminum struts, motor mounts and tubular control arms ) - $2150

I'm glad though that there is at least an alternative. My scenario is like what was posted a few up from this one. I bought an MP disc brake conversion; and RMS upper control arms. Then I found out my K was thrashed. The lower control arm mounts were egg shaped; and there was a huge tear in the bottom of the unit. So I figured I'd save up and get an AlterK. Then I found out that my $900 brake kit would not work with an AlterKation. Bummer! Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Still; 16 hundred is STEEP for a bare bones K member!

Dodgenut64 said:
Can ya sell your brake set on ebay???

Yeah; I think thats what I may do. If ya know anybody that needs a brand new early A body disc brake kit; they can save a couple hundred bucks. I paid $950 and I'll let it go for $750. (+ shipping) I haven't even taken any parts out of the box; only the manual.

I have a freind with a 66, ill ask him if hes interested.
You gotta get an alterktion though, check out my thread in the restorations section, they show a 5.7 in my car. You can see how much clearance ya get with the alterktion. Also, I got front brakes for my alterktion off ebay for $250 bucks (maybe less). they are 11" discs that work with the mustang II set up thats on the alterktion. They came with everything, rotors, pads, bearings, calipers ect. The alterktion actually saved me a little when i ordered brakes. They are basic brakes, not as fancy as Bear, but they will work fine for our size car. Ill end up spending more on my rear brakes then i did on my front brakes in the end . Isnt that supposed to be the other way around???

Dodgenut64 said:
You gotta get an alterktion though, check out my thread in the restorations section, they show a 5.7 in my car. You can see how much clearance ya get with the alterktion. Also, I got front brakes for my alterktion off ebay for $250 bucks (maybe less).[B]I thought the alterktion came w/front dick brakes? Can you get it w/out? If so how much???[/B] they are 11" discs that work with the mustang II set up thats on the alterktion. They came with everything, rotors, pads, bearings, calipers ect. The alterktion actually saved me a little when i ordered brakes. They are basic brakes, not as fancy as Bear, but they will work fine for our size car. Ill end up spending more on my rear brakes then i did on my front brakes in the end . Isnt that supposed to be the other way around???[/QUOTE

I thought the alterktion came w/front dick brakes? Can you get it w/out? If so how much???

Yes, you dont have to get the wilwoods. Look at this website for price shttps://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php. the alterktion is only $3000 without the brakes. You can just get cheap brakes off ebay for $250. You may be able to get them at auto zone too, but may be higher priced. I got them because they were cheap, large enough for my driving habbits and are easily replaced. For $250, i can get another set and still be under the price of the wilwoods. Now of course the fancier brakes are nicer looking and have a little better stopping power but i dont plan on racing my car at a track or road course, so im ok with the basic brakes.

Yeah, I was lookin at that. Bill will knock off $300 bucks without brakes; but I figure I might as well go ahead with those. I don't think I'll need Wilwoods. It's quite a bit more for those. I'll be cruising my car mostly, and an occasional trip to the local tracks. (Mostly 1/8th mile tracks)

USCG CHARGER said:
Dodgenut64 said:
You gotta get an alterktion though, check out my thread in the restorations section, they show a 5.7 in my car. You can see how much clearance ya get with the alterktion. Also, I got front brakes for my alterktion off ebay for $250 bucks (maybe less).[B]I thought the alterktion came w/front dick brakes? Can you get it w/out? If so how much???[/B] they are 11" discs that work with the mustang II set up thats on the alterktion. They came with everything, rotors, pads, bearings, calipers ect. The alterktion actually saved me a little when i ordered brakes. They are basic brakes, not as fancy as Bear, but they will work fine for our size car. Ill end up spending more on my rear brakes then i did on my front brakes in the end . Isnt that supposed to be the other way around???[/QUOTE

I thought the alterktion came w/front dick brakes? Can you get it w/out? If so how much???

Dick brakes??? Just call Bill at RMS, and he'll give you a run-down of all the options: ( 570 ) 443-7440

urchinhead said:
USCG CHARGER said:
Dick brakes??? Just call Bill at RMS, and he'll give you a run-down of all the options: ( 570 ) 443-7440

Yes, Dick brakes, they are much better then Bumb brakes. :toothy7: Ok, cool, so someone else makes spelling errors like me. I dont feel alone any more. too funnny

urchinhead, got any pics of your car, i see it on your sig, but i havent seen it anywhere else, whats she look like? Howabout you USCG CHARGER, got any pics??

when i got my alter-k i got the cheaper brakes from bill with mine... they work fine.. i will be upgrading to the wilwoods soon though..

bill also sells a disc brake set up for a stock suspension.. you may want to call him and ask about it...

LOL Sorry guyz I wanted to say Disc brakes........ :sign6:

Hey, we all make spelling mistakes, some are just funnier than others! :toothy7:

I don't have too many pictures of my car, as there's not a lot to see at the moment. Sorry, they're a little blurry:

Dartpart1002.jpg

Dartpart1005.jpg

I'm trying to get the ball rolling, so hopefully I'll have some more shots to post.

-
Back