Early A body 4 speed linkage

-
I've ordered a part or two from brewer's before. The hard to find part I got from them was the Hurst Reverse Shift lever that broke on my '65. Everyone else wanted me to send the shifter to them so they could rebuild it for a chunk of change.

Lever and bushing were $30.

I'd suggest Contacting Dan Brewer over on Moparts ( rapidfire64 ). Find out if they have the early A linkage, Which I believe is different than the 67-up linkage.

--Tom

Sorry, I haven't tried earlier stuff in the older stuff as far as that. I got lucky and got my stuff from a 65 Cuda back in 94.

I am converting 2 different 65 Darts from Auto to 4 speed overdrive.

I was able to find original 65 4 speed linkage for one of the Darts and did the conversion sucessfully.

I have also printed, full scale, the Brewers 4 speed ad for the 68 & up 4 speed linkage and laid my existing 65 4 speed linkage on it. I found that only the reverse linkage has a difference where it hooks up to the shifter.

The Brewers linkage has about a 45 degree angle in the link near the shifter where my 65 existing 4 speed link has a almost straight down & then 90 deg bend.....it allows for a generous clearance of the crossmember....appearing to be way more than needed.

It would be better to see if someone has tried substituting the 68 linkage into a 65 rather than buy & find out the hard way on the 2nd Dart.

I am using the overdrive A/F body linkage from Hurst in my 66 using the OD trans with the later Hurst shifter. I'm pretty sure I had the shifter and linkage from my 71 340 duster in the 64 also. It is not as good as the original 64-65 but not bad.

I bought a repro Hurst shifter for my 68 GTS and it's nice quaility and not to expensive

I bought the 9" to 10.5 early a-body clutch conversion kit from them for my 66 Valiant, the stuff bolted right on and fits great! Some of the best money I spent on my car, they have great suff, but it can be a little spendy. I am using stock shift rods from an a-body 66 833 trans, 10.5 aluminum bell from a newer sb.

I am using the overdrive A/F body linkage from Hurst in my 66 using the OD trans with the later Hurst shifter. I'm pretty sure I had the shifter and linkage from my 71 340 duster in the 64 also. It is not as good as the original 64-65 but not bad.

This sounds like the answer I needed since I'm using a Aspen OD & bellhousing. I also purchased a new hurst shifter with the needed bushings to match the older style linkage. Consequently if I use Brewers 68 & up 4 speed linkage it sounds like a match to your experience.

Thanks for the verification.....Don

This sounds like the answer I needed since I'm using a Aspen OD & bellhousing. I also purchased a new hurst shifter with the needed bushings to match the older style linkage. Consequently if I use Brewers 68 & up 4 speed linkage it sounds like a match to your experience.

Thanks for the verification.....Don

The rods and levers are different for the OD. The front lever is pointed down instead of up. If you use the regular rods and levers, Overdrive will be 3rd gear. I'd talk to Brewers and tell them what you have and what you want to do. Also see if the OD linkage kit is still available through Hurst. It has the matched levers and rods together.

The rods and levers are different for the OD. The front lever is pointed down instead of up. If you use the regular rods and levers, Overdrive will be 3rd gear. I'd talk to Brewers and tell them what you have and what you want to do. Also see if the OD linkage kit is still available through Hurst. It has the matched levers and rods together.

I had success on my 65 Dart with a 77 DartLite/Feather Duster OD using Early A Body 4 speed linkage. Even though the 3rd/4th lever is upside down on the OD, the Early A Body Linkage worked fine.

The second Dart, my daughter's, has the Aspen OD with the levers correctly oriented as you describe & matching the arrangement on my 65 Dart. This is the car I'm considering for use with the Brewer's 4 speed 68 & up linkage since I haven't come across Early A Body linkage yet.

When I changed my '63 to a 4 speed I used a transmission and shifter/linkage from a '74 Dart and don't recall it being a problem - I've got an aftermarket Hurst ahifter in now and had to do some slight trimming for the linkage.

-
Back