Early A body anti roll bar options?

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
Anyone out there installed aftermarket anti sway (front) on a non factory sway bar car? im talking 1963-66 a bodies. mines a 1965 dart & looking to possibly put an anti sway bar on er if possible. thanks guys!

FYI, the front sway bar really is a plus. I have a factory one on my 66 Dart. It really needs a rear one though. The front stays fairly level and the rear end wants to roll. Kinda goofy they did that.

If you use the PAST front sway bar you must fabricate a wedge between the front mounts and the K member.

Ended up using the hellwig bar...... Not very impressed to be honest. They bent the arms of the bar that connects to the lowrr control arm shock bolt about an inch to long!!!! Any bumps or tight turns it would contact lower control arm or hit the bump stop bracket for the upper control arm! I called & talked to them about (nice folks btw) they asked is it lowered? No, its stock suspension stock hight. It measured what they said it should. So there solution was send me 1 inch shim/blocks to put between the u straps & mounting brackets. Ah NO! good thing im certified to weld pipe! I cut one inch out of each side & slid in a piec of pipe to fit th I.D. of the bar. Then beveled edges to do a V grove welds. Now it fits PERFECT! No noise popping hitting or anything anymore!

How do You prevent embrittlement adjacent to the welds on something like that? It is still spring steel in a tube correct? Besides heat removing temper from spring
steel, I thought that would also be a consideration.

Last edited:
Its 4140 steel about 1/4 inch thick & heat treated from them. Not spring steel at all. I placed a tube that fit the I.d. of the bar in 1st about 3inches long. Then made a wide v-grove in both sections of tje roll bar. 1 root pass & 2 cover pass's. No problom at all. Not to mention its double the size of a factory sway bar to begin with. I didn't want to do it, but was really tired of back & forth with aftermarket companies! Ha, ive got another story about SSBC disc brake kit A153 ill share in the brake section. Will NEVER recommend them what so ever!

Last edited:
-
Back