Early A-Body Header Question

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I know that options for early A-body smallblock headers are pretty much fenderwells, and cutting car, Spitfires, if you can wait a year, and TTIs for a ton of money. What I was wondering is this. I've read here that Dakota exhaust manifolds will fit early A-Bodies and I see that Summit sells shorty headers for Dakotas for $100 or $150. What do you think? Has anyone tried these on their Early A-Body. Might be a nice alternative, or is there a monkey wrench in there somewhere? Mike :scratch:

I haven't heard of it. Another option is ebay and try to find a set of Doug headers. They fit without cutting. A friend of mine bought a set on a garagesale in Portland for $150. Must be a great deal.

But let us know if you find Dakota hearders.

Theres a set of Dakota headers right now on Ebay for $149, being listed by Summit Racing. Do they still make Doug headers for early a-bodies? Mike

Keep in mind that long tubes are always better than the shorty type. I believe the long tubes give more low end torque. I could be wrong but I've thought about putting shortys on my truck but everyone said no go for long tubes. I've got long tube Headmans on my car and the drive link has to come off because it goes through the right side header!

I also saw a set of long tube headers for a Ram on Ebay earlier today. I'm sure they won't fit on the early a-body, but I guess they're available for the trucks though. My 1964 Valiant has fenderwell headers on it now and I'd like to get those off and I'm just looking at the alternatives. I imagine the shorty headers wood be better than stock exhaust manifolds(273) that would fit on this car. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this yet.

jahsh, did you install them on the '66 in the pic? How was the fit? Any issues with starter and oil filter? Thanks Mike

Do a search in the Early abody sub-forum./?? ;)

Supposedly somebody used 2 passenger side ones,
and had the exhaust routed from the front of the engine,
on the drivers side, to avoid the steering box issues.

The Dakota type manifolds will NOT work with 3 on the tree.

ValiantMike said:
I know that options for early A-body smallblock headers are pretty much fenderwells, and cutting car, Spitfires, if you can wait a year, and TTIs for a ton of money. What I was wondering is this. I've read here that Dakota exhaust manifolds will fit early A-Bodies and I see that Summit sells shorty headers for Dakotas for $100 or $150. What do you think? Has anyone tried these on their Early A-Body. Might be a nice alternative, or is there a monkey wrench in there somewhere? Mike :scratch:

I have a set of headers that came off of my 1970 duster. They are the full headers. And, it has brand new pipes and mufflers that run from the header collector to right in front of the rear axle. I'd love to trade it all to you for something. If interested, let me know. i need stuff for a 70 duster. Preferably a rally dash wiring harness.

paul

Thanks for the offer Paul, but those headers won't fit the early A-body.
Caveman, thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I've got a factory 4spd in a 1964 Valiant so those exhaust manifolds should be ok. That looks like the best route for me to take. Do you know if there is any particular truck exhaust manifold I should be looking for. Thanks Mike

-
Back