Early A-body parts pricing

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am fairly well versed in what the newer A body parts sell for. The early stuff is new to me.

Here is what I am after. I ask because I am looking at it later this week to see if it is something that I can use.

V8 frame mounts-engine to K stuff
Fenderwell Headers-Hooker fully welded not slip-fit
Rear glass
headlight switch
Dropped centerlink
manifolds

All of this is off of a V8 car. I am contemplating getting a whole car for what I need rather than piecing it together.

Thank you for your time, ROB

jeeper said:
V8 frame mounts-engine to K stuff
Fenderwell Headers-Hooker fully welded not slip-fit

The early 64-66 v8 uses the same K frame as the /6, just special block brackets.

Check to make sure the headers are actually Hookers as the ones made for the early a-bodies go both thru the fenderwells and under the frame. So if they are welded up then something is going to have to be cut more than it should be. As 2 to 3 go in the fenderwell and the others go under the frame. Headman has all four tubes thru the fenderwells but I don't know if they are slip fit like the hookers.

Early A-body V8 motor mounts with the rubber insulators are hard to find (but I know where there's a few sets), usually run about $100 set. New rubber insulators (make in Korea) are about $50 set, does not include the metal motor mount. You can get replacement motor mounts from Schumacher for about $120 or so.

Don't know about the other stuff.

What manifolds are you looking for...
better yet, make a list and post it.

Hey Robert, I guess you know why I haven't called with head CC numbers....

I've been kinda busy with the early A thing here lately!

I have heard from a local that all the A body manifolds will interchange. I know that goes against conventional wisdom, just what an old hand at this had to say.

Regarding the headers, he said they are fenderwells, and are all welded up, no slip fit.

I don't know what they are out of.

I may end up with the Shumacher stuff for mounts. He is going to look on Thursday and then he and I will chat.

The exhaust manifolds look similar at a glance. Pretty much the passenger side is the same. Now the driver's side is a special little bugger. Only used in 64-66 and in my opinion very very restrictive. It narrows down quite alot basically flattens out to bend around the steering shaft.

That is what I thought. I did not want to offend the guy since I called him and he has owned and currently does own a pile of Mopars, been at it for a long time.

The early one is real strange looking. He said he had "both types" of early A manifolds. Also said the later ones would work too.

I'm siding with the board on this one............

Rear glass

-If you came to get the one off my parts car - I'd give it away, just so I know it would never get crushed. Of course my glass is in TN. I would say $50-$100 is fair.

headlight switch

-No clue, but I'm sure there are plenty of these around - maybe even still produced?

Dropped centerlink

-$50-$75 is a guess.

manifolds

-So why do you want both manifolds and headers? I would never buy early 273 manifolds unless I was doing a OEM restoration.

I am contemplating getting a whole car for what I need rather than piecing it together.

-I love finding a cheap parts car, I've done it plenty and come out ahead many a times. Sometimes even making money and getting all the parts I needed for free.

the manifolds and dropped steering link will take some searching. The fenderwell headers are cool but you may lose some turning radius. Are you building that 64 up?
I would say the manifolds aren't worth it, the Spitfire headers are pretty cheap and work well on the street.

I am just getting estimates so I know what to pay without paying too much.

The idea at this point is a low-buck street car with a simple type performance theme.

I think the best exhaust for me would be the spitfires. I have attempted to contact him with no luck yet.

I was curious what headers went for approximately. I will likely not run the manifolds because performance is what I am after.

Thank you for the replies, ROB

BTW- what ever the headers are, he said clearance wasn't bad. ALthough he did mention having some wheels that were offset some.

The thing I can't figure out is that he says they are fenderwell, but they don't have a slip fit on the collector? I'm under the impression that he is a bit older and has been at the Mopar thing for some time, maybe a long time.

Who knows?

the Dougs headers on my 66 use slip tubes but they are undercar headers. They cost about $800 for a set from Summit but are a first rate header. I had to search and found a dropped steering link on ebay, expect to pay about $100. And the 67-up link will not work, already tried that.Sounds like a fun project car!

Headlight switches are the same on my 66 as a 73. My guess is they are all the same regardless of the year.

I will have a set of 273 iron exh manifolds for a 64 car. They are off of a 64 Dart. I thnk I alsi have some other engine parts as well. It will be a little while till I can get them off the car though. It is very cold here at this time.

i have installed a 1975 Dodge Dart drivers side exhaust manifold on my 1965 Barracuda. it fits. your fitment may vary. i have yet to try and run exhaust pipes to it, though. we will see how that works out.

the DURANGO magnum MANIFOLDS would NOT fit!!! Dang it!

try this:

www.car-parts.com

i called a couple of JYs that had the exhaust manifolds listed for my car, asked the right questions and came up with the centerlink for $40 (shipped) from one of them! you can use the Passenger side exhaust manifold off nearly any thing. if the 64-66 is the one you want, most JYs are in the $75-90 range shipped.

the headlight switch IS still produced. got mine from CarQuest. Any auto parts store worth a darn will have it. i had to use a dimmer switch off a Ford truck, just turned the wire connector over and voila! but i digress.

good luck.

sb

Jeeper, check Ebay item #330083310907 for the center link you're looking for. I think this may be it. I also beleive that the rear window and windshield from a 4dr car may be the same as a 2dr, and 64 thru 66 are all the same, and, the Dart windows may fit also. You'll have to doublecheck that info though, as I'm not absolutely sure. You can check with the people on the
www.earlyabodyforum.com if no one is sure here. Mike

-
Back