Early A body push button transmission

-

64Bones

Reaction score
Does anyone know what position this bracket is supposed to be? It is connected to the throttle rod linkage and bellcrank. I don't seem to be getting kickdown when I try to pass a car on the freeway. I suspect this might have something to do with it.

1964 valiant
chrysler industrial slant 6 mated to a push button 904

E7B18C94-91C9-4584-B98B-85B6207F54D4.jpeg

1F1FF50B-7731-4878-ABEE-C2F12A9CA08E.jpeg

Chryslers don’t “kick down” like a GM or ford does.

that is called throttle pressure linkage. Increases internal trans pressure as you press down on the gas pedal.

Does anyone know what position this bracket is supposed to be? It is connected to the throttle rod linkage and bellcrank. I don't seem to be getting kickdown when I try to pass a car on the freeway. I suspect this might have something to do with it.

1964 valiant
chrysler industrial slant 6 mated to a push button 904

View attachment 1716179183

View attachment 1716179187
It is the throttle pressure control rod, and needs to be adjusted correctly for the shift points & firmess.
1st, loosen the adjustment locking nut on that pressure control rod, then make sure the carb is opening all the way when somebody has the gas pedal to the floor. If not, correct that first, it should just open fully w/o binding the linkage(check for broken/worn isolator at carb if used).
2nd, with the pedal to the floor & carb wide open, push the throttle pressure arm on the trans all the way back...take up any slack in the rod assy. & tighten the adjusting locknut.
3rd, take it for a spin, see how it behaves then.

I have the exact same car, engine, and trans. I can check how mine looks tomorrow in the daylight.

It is the throttle pressure control rod, and needs to be adjusted correctly for the shift points & firmess.
1st, loosen the adjustment locking nut on that pressure control rod, then make sure the carb is opening all the way when somebody has the gas pedal to the floor. If not, correct that first, it should just open fully w/o binding the linkage(check for broken/worn isolator at carb if used).
2nd, with the pedal to the floor & carb wide open, push the throttle pressure arm on the trans all the way back...take up any slack in the rod assy. & tighten the adjusting locknut.
3rd, take it for a spin, see how it behaves then.
Thanks for the help! I'll try that this weekend

Well crud. I checked my car but it's been converted to cable kickdown.

-
Back