Early A-Body Sway Bar Restoration

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I just completed the restoration of the sway bar for the 66 'Cuda and thought I'd share some details. As you can see, I am getting to a little bit at a time on the 'Cuda.

I removed the sway bar with the brackets. The bushing brackets have the bushings welded in, so I had to cut the welds to remove the bushings. The brackets were bent up due to being bumped over the years.

New bushings were hard to come by, I looked everywhere and even asked bushing manufacturers if they could make some. No one was willing to take on the task since the need is quite low. So, a member here (grimreaper) took it upon himself to make a mold and cast some bushings. They turned out great. I believe he still has a pair or two for sale if others are interested. He also e-mailed a great installation procedure to go with the bushings.

After I received the bushings, I straightened out the bushing brackets and had my brother weld them up. See pictures below for the progression of the restoration.

Attachments

• DSCN4418a.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN4423a.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN5621a.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN5622a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0494a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0507a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCN0517a.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN0518a.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0521a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 303
Is there enough meat on the tabs to drill holes and bolt the bracket together instead of welding it?

Is there enough meat on the tabs to drill holes and bolt the bracket together instead of welding it?

I wondered about doing that. Yes, I think there is enough there. I was not sure if one bolt on each tab would work though if there happened to be any twisting on the bracket.

I actually bought a kit for B-bodies to see if it would fit the A-body sway bar but the bushing is a real sloppy fit on the bar. The instructions with that kit show drilling a hole for each ear and bolting it together with 1/4" bolts. I prefer to weld mine but apperantly bolting works satisfactorily.

I have had several members contact me regarding these bushings. I originally had a few extras made and passed those on to members. Well, I had enough interest that I had the guy make another batch to supply those needs and now I've got 5 pairs left if anyone is interested. They're $24 a pair shipped. I'm not making money on these things. Just charging enough to cover the parts, a package and shipping. If you would like a pair of bushings specifically for the early A send me a PM.

-
Back