Early A-body tti pictures from Fall Fling

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Ordered the 63-66 A body tti headers and 2.5 inch full X-pipe setup today at the Fall Fling. I did have to order the special made powermaster mini starter $240 :wack: Ordered it COD so I could check my flywheel size. I took a ton of pictures of the display and a 66 dart gt factory 4-speed with the headers installed. The display had 3" X-pipe. I am going to post all the pictures and I will post my install once I get started on them :headbang:

The cost was a huge hit (the 10% off at the show was nice) but I figure it is worth it after putting so much time and money into the engine and drivetrain already...... why skimp now on the exhaust. Not only that the exhaust pipes are already made to fit the early A-body. BTW the tranny mount does have to be notched out (they give you the plans to do this on your own) or you can buy theirs for $125 plus sending in your core mount.

IMO the extra $240 spent on the starter makes up for it in time spent installing ( less :banghead: ) Plus there is no welding, mandrel pipe bending and mounting to be done at muffler shop. That alone could set you back a pretty penny. Can do it in your own backyard now.

Everything sounds great right now but realistically I need wait until I install everything before I get all happy.

Dave

Passenger side
47b6ce00b3127cce8e0d8a9a35fe00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Driver Side
47b6ce00b3127cce8e0d8aafb4fb00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b6ce00b3127cce8e0c753cd4c300000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Mopar mini starter hits this tube and putting a dimple in it caused major reduction in flow
47b6ce00b3127cce8e0c749094f700000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Next post will be the 66 Dart Gt with them installed

Nice looking pipes. And finally some one who doesnt whine about the price of TTI's I never understood why people would put thousand in to there car buying the best parts and then want to run the cheapest headers and torque converter they can find.

Amen, that was my thinking. Plus I think they will last a hell-of-a-lot longer than the cheap ones. Would probably have to replace a couple sets of cheapies (due to rusting out or dragging on speed bumps, etc) before replacing this set. Espcially since they are ceramic counted on the insides too. :thumbup:

I have the full TTI 3" exhaust and headers on my 68 Dart with the old 360 HP crate motor and it sounds really bad (in a good way)

Also fits nice with no rattles, only think I want to do is have them welded up where the exhaust slips together instead of using the supplied clamps.

They have a first class system and I will be using it on my 65 Valiant too when its ready.

Save your pennies guys. It looks like this set is worth each and every one Mike

Those are killer, I wish they would had them before I cut my car up for fenderwells.

Lee

AdamR said:
Nice looking pipes. And finally some one who doesnt whine about the price of TTI's I never understood why people would put thousand in to there car buying the best parts and then want to run the cheapest headers and torque converter they can find.
I agree Adam. I spent the big buck for the Doug's and am very happy with them. I bought the tti 3" x pipe system to the rear axle and modified it to fit the Dougs collectors. First rate constuction and good people to deal with.
Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Also, I noticed that Summit is carrying Doug's headers now and has a listing for 63-66 a bodies for about $780.

Did I read the original post correctly ?

TTI is making a dual exhaust system as well ? Cool !

I wont be using their headers, since I have a set of the shorties already.

Interesting to note that the notch in the trans member is EXACTLY what I did to mine, and I had not seen this mod before these pictures. Amen. I'll have to check the TTI website for more info.

daves66valiant said:
Ordered the 63-66 A body tti headers and 2.5 inch full X-pipe setup today at the Fall Fling. I did have to order the special made powermaster mini starter $240
Next post will be the 66 Dart Gt with them installed

Dave where did you order your mini starter?
And what was the part no.?

Thanks

You have to order the powermaster ministarter directly from tti. :cussing:
Part no. 636A-9543

66dartgt. IF you can, ditch the shorties and put them on ebay to offset the tti header cost. The X-pipes will be so much easier to bolt up. Although you can convert them to fit the shorties

daves66valiant said:
You have to order the powermaster ministarter directly from tti. :cussing:
Part no. 636A-9543

66dartgt. IF you can, ditch the shorties and put them on ebay to offset the tti header cost. The X-pipes will be so much easier to bolt up. Although you can convert them to fit the shorties
Thanks Dave, I have already sold the shorty's. Just have to get the starter on it's way as I ordered them from a place here in Canda, and I didn't even ask them about the starter. :sign6:

Dave -

Thanks for the idea, but Im gonna stick with the shorties. I looked at the install for the full length headers and my front end is already rebuilt. The headers require you to tear 1/2 of the front end off to install them. I know I am giving up some performance - but the shorties have to be better than 273 manifolds. Besides I got them for the lower initial price offer before they raised prices.

I looked at TTI's site and didnt see anything about the exhaust system. Is this system made especially for 66 an older A bodies ? Maybe I need to call them.

Yeah the system is specific to the early a-body. You can get the H-pipe or the X-pipe. You can modify their exhaust to fit your shorties. :thumbup: The thread started by abodyjoe has the under-carriage pics. call tti. very nice to talk too. first rate folks.

Okay so I took some pictures of the standard mini-starter that I had already gotten cheap from a junkyard when I was thinking of getting the Doug's or Spitfires. I compared it side by side to the custom Powermaster mini-starter made for the early A-body tti headers.

The starter motor bodies are exactly the same. :) The mounting flange is the only difference. For what it's worth: If there was ever a problem with the Powermaster starter going out, you could take the body from a standard mini-starter and replace it onto the custom mounting flange of the Powermaster. Seems like this would be the inexpensive replacement route IMO. It's too bad tti doesn't give you the option of just buying the custom flange from POwermaster. BUt that would be too easy of course.

This is just FYI for those of you who are thinking about the tti's and are worried about starter failure and the expense of replacing it ($240 smackers)

47b6cf02b3127cce8f24afa1f92d00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b6cf02b3127cce8f24af82783e00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b6cf02b3127cce8f24ac0f382a00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for the Mopar ****!! Thats going to be one nice convertible when your done!

-
Back