Early A Dash Frame Installation "Doubt"

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Are the two holes on top of the dash frame at either extreme end used for anything (see photo with red handle pointed toward hole)? I already found five fasteners with captive washers (and the two for the kick panels). Thank you.

IMG_0249.jpg

I believe that is where the small curved trim that covers the end of the dash and the A pillar molding screws to

I just parked in the shade and shined a flashlight into the hole. There is no matching hole in the metal cowl beneath the dash frame, which makes it a blind hole and a hole without any threads.

If I am not mistaken, there is a kind of "mystery" color-coded rubbery strip that I have see photos of that the factory installed all along the bottom of the windshields (this piece seems to be always missing after thirty or forty or fifty years). Maybe that strip had some rubber "male" tabs that clicked in a couple of these holes to hold it in place?

The windshield gasket is very wide and covers those holes. It may had been for line up on the assembly line. Dash went in before the windshield from all over read about.

Yup, a rubber trim strip went into those holes on cars without the wide base windshield pillar trim. Convertibles had them as well as many 4dr's and lower trim level cars. Higher level trim cars use a plastic pillar molding with a wide base that covers those holes. Dashes that came with the rubber strip also have a screw hole at the lower end to fasten the rubber strip to the metal dash.

-
Back