early a engine swap

-

Thumpower

Reaction score
Not having a lot of luck finding a good slant, so am considering dropping a 318 into my 64 Dart w/ pushbutton 904. What kind of extra/different parts would I need. I know about the center link; what about the trans matchup, manifolds, etc?

Just a street motor - stock 318 w/2 bbl - at least for now...

You would want to find a set of old 64-66 273 exhaust manifolds.

The slant 6 trans will not a v-8 trans. You will need to find a v-8 push button cable shift trans as the starter is mounted in different location.

Hard to believe you can't find a good slant cheap in the LA area. In addition to tranny, you would also need a V-8 steering center-link and a 64-66 small block oil pan (or dent in a late pan).

If you go V-8, I have a 65 small block 727 push-button tranny I will probably never use, and we are driving to San Diego in a few weeks. I am not sure the cable-shift pattern is the same as 64, since 65 changed to the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern. It might work, but you might need to re-label your buttons. You also must beat the body crimp up to fit the 727, but otherwise is the same. PM me if interested.

Hard to believe you can't find a good slant cheap in the LA area. In addition to tranny, you would also need a V-8 steering center-link and a 64-66 small block oil pan (or dent in a late pan).

If you go V-8, I have a 65 small block 727 push-button tranny I will probably never use, and we are driving to San Diego in a few weeks. I am not sure the cable-shift pattern is the same as 64, since 65 changed to the now-standard P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern. It might work, but you might need to re-label your buttons. You also must beat the body crimp up to fit the 727, but otherwise is the same. PM me if interested.

Does that trans have a slip joint tail shaft?? Major score if it does!!! Geof

you can also use late model Durango exhaust manifolds. they work well with minor grinding on driver side to clear steering. easier to find too.

73 d100 360 passenger side manifold and a 74 valiant 360 drivers side manifold fit in my 66 with schumacher mounts and a sweet mfg stainless u-joint coupler from speedway motors. i have a spare drop drag link as well.

you can also use late model Durango exhaust manifolds. they work well with minor grinding on driver side to clear steering. easier to find too.
Can you specify years that you know of? Will they work with power steering? I would think with the early A factory manifolds getting more rare, it would be of interest to a lot of people on here.

I would be interested just for the knowledge sake. Thanks. Dennis

The Durango or any other late model manifolds will absolutely not fit in an early-A with power steering, regardless of how much grinding you do.

I know this from direct experience because I've tried a number of exhaust options with the 360 in my '65 Barracuda. The only realistic exhaust options for a V8 with power steering are either stock 273 manifolds (which I believe will work just fine for a typical 318 ) which slip right in with a minimum of fuss, or you can go nuts with Doug's or TTI headers. That's it. I currently have Doug's in my Barracuda but I had to tear out the steering, brake lines, z-bar, starter, wiring, etc., to install them and then fabricate new brake lines, fab up a hydraulic clutch system, modify an expensive steering coupler, weld up a special bracket for the brake booster, and purchase a very expensive clockable RobbMC starter. It's a spectacular exercise in spending money and shop work.

Unless you plan to hop up your 318 to high output, seriously don't bother with the headers and buy a pair of good, solid 273 manifolds. Go dual exhaust if you like for the sound, port and polish the exhaust joints to match if you have the time and inclination, and enjoy your power steering.

PS: In many ways I wish I had a hopped up /6 instead of the fat 360 I have now. If I ever buy another early-A, I would build up a /6 turbo and enjoy the benefits. You might dig around a little more to find a good /6 motor before you go for a V8 and then find yourself re-engineering the rest of the car to suit. You'll be bucks ahead, but this is just my opinion.

-marcus

correct. clean fit though with manual steering. exhaust dump right in the back too. late 90s Durango is what I got at pull a part for 25 bucks, with flanges.

Does that trans have a slip joint tail shaft?? Major score if it does!!! Geof
No, the 1965 SB 727 tranny I have has a fixed output flange that bolts to a "Detroit" ball & trunnion front U-joint. As far as I know, the only slip yoke output in a cable-shift transmission is the 1965 big-block, used in C-bodies like my 65 Newport. That is a 1-year only transmission. Stuffing a big-block in an A-body is possible (even factory), but not trivial, especially in the narrower 62-66 cars.

I have all the pieces For your v8 conversion. Motor mounts,center link,gas pedal assembly, exhaust manifolds, oil pan,90 degree oil filter adapter, 904 v8 cable trans. The package price on those would be more than the rebuilt slant I offered you.

-
Back