Early A Manual to Power Steering Help!

-

braptor52

Reaction score
Okay first an foremost, i have gathered some information from hours of researching through threads. This is what i have, currently know (correct me if i'm wrong please), and need to know.

What I Have:
I'm in the middle of a build on my 65 dart GT car. its an original /6 904 car, manual steering, floor shift. motor an trans is out because im doing a 360/727 swap. also going through the front end, supsension brakes and steering. While im in there i would like to swap over to power steering (gunna be a weekend driver).

What information i've gathered:
There's no difference between a power and manual Standard Floor Shift steering column for my 65, besides the internal steering shafts. Power shaft uses a different coupler and is longer than a manaul shaft. steering gear/box will need to be changed to a power one and i gotta add a pump etc.

What I need to know:
If i can get a hold of a power steering shaft w/coupler from a 63-66 a body, will i be able to swap over to power steering with my original manual column housing? And will i be able to run any sort of header with a power steering setup in a 65 dart with a 360/727? plans were to use a set of sanderson block huggers or tti set. Or just run manifolds if clearance is an issue.

thanks for takin your time to help me, any input/help is appreciaited.
-Riley

You can use the column and put the longer power shaft into it, but it would be easier to just find a power column, they're not at all rare and should be easy to find.

I'm quite surprised that you are considering a change to power. Manual on these early cars is a breeze. I have a couple, including one I just bought, and they turn very easy. Heck, I didn't even realize the new Cuda was manual until i bought a quart of PS fluid for one of my other cars and was going to top off the Cuda. Surprize!!!

As for the headers, I'm not sure about the new Sandersons,, and I don't even know if TTI makes an early A header, but I think Doug's underchassis headers can be used with PS, although they are a bit pricey!!! Sorry I can't be of more help, Geof

The power shaft is actually shorter then the manual shaft and its easy to swap shafts I just converted my 62 valiant from power to manual all you have to do is remove the steering wheel and there is a snap ring you have too remove it and the whole shaft will slide out the bottom end I used a 64 dart shaft and steering box
IMG_20120308_104805-1.jpg

IMG_20120308_104637.jpg

Swapping the center shaft with the coupler is the easy part. The exhaust with power steering is much harder. TTI makes a set but from what I heard from a friend of mine that just did it, the fit is less than ideal. You have to use the mini starter to begin with. The torsion bars go through the pipes so they have to be installed after the headers and will probably hit under hard acceleration. The engine had to be jacked up and headers in place but not bolted down to get the steering gear wrangled into place. I don't know of any factory cast iron manifolds that will fit and seal properly.

thanks guys for your input, i think i will just stick to the manual steering for now. seems to be the easier route to go.

if you are interested I would like to swap my power steering for manual on my 66 barracuda
everything in mine works fine I would swap even up for the steering shaft, pump, steering box lines and pitman arm

-
Back