early a radio question

-

macadoo1961

Reaction score
I wasn't sure wheather to post this in the interior forum or here where the early A experts are....well see if anyone knows here. Would a '65 dart radio fit into a '66 dart dash bezel? Did they use the same model of radio? Yeah I know stupid question. The knob to knob measurements are the same just not sure if the tuning window and push button openings are the same. Another member here has a '65 radio to sell and I just want to be sure it will fit. I want to make my '66 dash look stock for collector insurance:cheers: I've been looking for a website that would list the models used in what years but have come up with nothing,and e-bay sellers don't seem too acurate with their info on the radios they are selling. Any ideas?? thanks

With Valiant, 1965 and '66 radios are the same,
1963-64 interchange also but NOT 64-65.
{Valiant 1963-64 have round pushbuttons, 1965-66 have square buttons.}

I would guess the same applies for Dart. Ask for a picture. :)

Thanks for your input, I've had some conflicting advise on this, I'm just concerned as the '65 tuning window seems a little lower than the '66 and the body is much bigger on top. The FABO seller sent me a nice pic of the radio, it looks nice! Nice white Valiant you have there by the way Caveman:cheers:

1966 valiant radio

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 002.jpg

valiant 021.jpg

Hey Mac,

According to my computer, there is a difference. I'm not sure what it is, but the program states that '63-'65 radios interchange, but the '66 stands alone. It also says that '60-'63 Plymouth will fit a '65, you just have to use the right bezel.

See if you can get a model number.

The model number I have for a '66 AM radio is 229. If you're lucky enough to find an AM/FM, the number is 379A.

The '65 model is called a Music Master in an AM radio, the AM/FM has a model number 373.

Hope this helps out a little.

For what its worth - I installed the stock Am radio in my 66. After a while I decided I wanted FM as well.

I looked in my cabinets and found an am/fm stocker from a 72 or so dart. Guess what - It fits in the dash like it was made for a 66, I fabbed a rear strut to support the back, the antenna input is a little awkward - it pushes the defroster hose a little but it works fine !

In fact with its black background on the dial and orange pointer it matches the gauges etc better than the original silver.

Hows that for interchanging !!

Thanks for all the help guys,and Comoxian for looking that up, thats the info I was looking for, I'll post a pic of the '65 radio I was looking at another fabo member sent me a pic of the one he was parting out of a '65 Dart. The model of it would be a 223,it looks good has all the knobs and the price wasn't bad:cheers: I think I better stick to getting a '66, hope to get one like Memikes with the Plymouth name in the tuning window. Hey Mike you want to drive Victoria up to Canada I'll buy your radio for $2600 then you can leave her with me and fly home, LOL!! (just kidding,I know you and Vicky are inseperable!! Thanks for the pics of yours,I think that gave me the idea for just what I want to put in my dash.)

a radio.jpg

For what its worth - I installed the stock Am radio in my 66. After a while I decided I wanted FM as well.

I looked in my cabinets and found an am/fm stocker from a 72 or so dart. Guess what - It fits in the dash like it was made for a 66, I fabbed a rear strut to support the back, the antenna input is a little awkward - it pushes the defroster hose a little but it works fine !

Hows that for interchanging !!

I'll second that. I'm using stock early/mid 70's AM/FMs in my 65 early A Bodies. All fit perfectly.

Hey Don,

Here's a pic of the '66 Dart radio that I just bought.

9781_1.JPG

There's definitely a difference.

If you want it, just let me know.

You've got the AM radio well covered with the other posts. My research for the restore on a 66 Dart GT showed that the AM radio was the only factory audio option. The owners manual listed dealer installed AM/FM, a rear speaker, and a reverb unit. Band selection was made with the large ring on the passenger side of the radio and indicated by a little window in the radio. A strange thing was that the manual recommended different antenna heights for the AM and FM bands. Of course there was no power antenna and no easy way to tell how high the antenna was extended without using a yardstick.

The AM/FM radio had only five mechanical presets which covered both bands. If you had the middle button (for instance) programmed for your favorite FM station, you probably got static when the AM band was selected and you pushed the middle button.

-
Back