Early A Wagon Roof Rack to Use or Not Use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart wagon and also have a correct luggage rack (commonly called a roof rack) for it. According to the figures I have, 3847 slant and V8 65 wagons were equipped with one as an option (about 1.3% of the total wagons produced in 65). FWIW I estimate similar numbers for 63, 64 and 66 wagons Thoughts on using it?

Heck Yeah I'd put it on! That would look so retro-cool.

On the wagon's that I've had, I like the look without. But I understand that traditionally wagons are "supposed" to have roof racks.

What's it look like - some wagons look great with them - some not so much, and I'm not sure how much is based on the style of the rack vs. the style of the wagon vs. the harmonizing of the two

I have one on my wagon and its staying put because i intend to use it when i finish the car and take it on a camping / fishing trip, in a very Yogi Bearish fashion.

You need a luggage rack for your pik a nik basket, Booboo bear

I am also putting one on my 68 coronet wagon even though it didn't have one from the factory

Again, for a king size family sized pik a nik basket.

The jury is out on whether it will actually look good on your car. I have one on mine and it's staying on because I don't wish to close up the holes in their roof, otherwise I'd probably not put one up there. It makes it harder to clean around and definitely harder to paint.

I am also putting one on my 68 coronet wagon even though it didn't have one from the factory

That was a fun day. :)
Rack photo by ed b.jpg

I would not put one on my Lancer, but that is because it never had one. If it had one I would go back with one in a heartbeat! And as far as the take parts off cars in fields, that is a great day!

I would not put one on my wagon unless it was going to be used alot. Like to put a vintage cooler up top, Christmas tree or other light weight car parts needed to be moved but didn't fit in the car. I have used a style of roof rack that is easy to install and remove when needed with no drilled holes . They use a suction cup on the roof and straps to the drip rail.

I have used a style of roof rack that is easy to install and remove when needed with no drilled holes . They use a suction cup on the roof and straps to the drip rail.

When I owned a small resto shop, I restored a 70 440-6 original owner Challenger. The owner while in college carrried a canoe on top with a similar type roof rack and the car was less than a year old - just another car! I had a nice time of removing the 4 small roof indentations from where the suction cup had been located!

I haven't voted, so for me it kinda depends. From a practical standpoint it might be handy on some rare occasions but most often I never see a roof rack being used, almost every minivan has one but it's always empty.
They can cause some wind noise too.
The color of the car might make a difference; a dark car with a chrome rack would look nice but it might blend in with a light color and of course what doesn't look good on a red car.
Surprising how rare it is, I thought most wagons had them thru the 80s.

In the end, it all boils down to what do you like and want on your vehicle. You need only to please yourself. I do like the luggage racks personally. I have a wagon here, a 51 2 door Plymouth, it is getting a luggage rack. Sourcing one for a this year was a bit of a challenge as you often find them on larger model wagons. The most I probably will carry is a surf board and then largely for the 'prop' effect. Mounting will be done with use of nutserts.

I have a pair of NOS deflectors (which are definitely going to get installed), the roof rack (which may or may not get installed) but no visor, which would be a fortune to ship from Australia!

Modern vehicles and the rear wiper idea don't work so great. Drove in my Valiant wagon in a rain storm down the highway with my rear window down with no rain flying in at all. Don't have to clean my rear window on my Valiant much either, my Magnum on the other hand, always has a crappy dirty rear window. :(

I paid $300 for a nice one from CA. I’ve got another one that’s gonna need rechroming that wil of course be less.

On my wagon - no rack - I would only add the Deflectors, but this is not theme of this thread.
But anyway- no rack...

I have a 65 Dart wagon and also have a correct luggage rack (commonly called a roof rack) for it. According to the figures I have, 3847 slant and V8 65 wagons were equipped with one as an option (about 1.3% of the total wagons produced in 65). FWIW I estimate similar numbers for 63, 64 and 66 wagons Thoughts on using it?
What is your source for this data? I have lots of questions about my wagons rare or not options. THanks

-
Back