Early cudas 64-66.. might check one out

-

Madmikeee

Stud Disguised as a geek
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to go check out an early cuda. Now realize that the cuda I WANT is a 67-69 notch or vert. However I see the appeal of the early cudas in their weird ugly awkward coolness. the 67-69 cudas are few and far between in this area or are way too expensive.

What has been done to these early cudas as far as customizations and how readily available are parts? Any pics? ANy suggestions as to what I would need to look for if I go check this one out?

THANKS!

As for what to look for its the same as anything else, pans and frame condition etc. Beyond that, missing trim/emblems/interior pieces can be pretty pricey because of the fact that there arent near as many aftermarket pieces as the 67 and up fish. Not all, but most of the 64/65 parts are the exact same. The 66 has a lot of 1 year only parts so anything thats missing will just be a little harder to find and probably a little more expensive. I can tell you from experience that doing an Early-A is GREAT!! I get a little extra satisfaction with each thing I cross of my project list because of the extra challenge as opposed to a later A and even more so a chebby. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Wow only one comment so far? I am surprised

maybe if I wiggle my butt a little :bootysha:

I think they look 100% better with bigger tires and beefy suspension. Any small block fits fine and most everything from any a-bod fits. Mine had a 340, 4 speed, 8.75 rear from a 69 swinger. I dont have this one anymore but always got good feedback even though it was in desperate need of a paint job.

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg

I think they are high on the cool factor, something you don't see everyday.
I didn't plan on getting one either but it was in the right place at the right time. Mine is stock and I don't plan on doing anything to it. Maybe when the 273 craps out (if ever) it will get a 318, but thats it. It make a great driver.

Resize of IMG_1944.jpg

Resize of IMG_1947.jpg

Resize of IMG_1948.jpg

Look for rust inside the cowl too. It would be nice to find one with all the 'swaps' already done...large bolt pattern, disc brakes, beefier rear end. Early-a's are just comfortable, nimble, easy-driving cars. Good luck!

IMHO, the grille are was one of the best looking with the turn signals simulating driving lights. Pundits of the time said it gave it the "sporty European look".

Hey there Kcoyle. The Barracuda is looking good. Better than you had described. Did you get a chance to put the back springs in yet? I am curious to see how it will sit.

Not a Cuda,but a 66 Dart early A-body.I,m glad I picked this one up!I,ve swapped brakes(disc.) and rear,tires rims.Parts are hard to find in Ontario,but this great site has blessed me with people that have the parts I need for a fair price.Good Luck!

trim 013.jpg

trim 088.jpg

Hey there Kcoyle. The Barracuda is looking good. Better than you had described. Did you get a chance to put the back springs in yet? I am curious to see how it will sit.

Thanks! That is her good side. The other side has some rust issues.
I haven't gotten the chance to put the springs in yet. I don"t have the room in my garage (not my garage in the pic) so it will be a springtime (get it?) job for the driveway. I'll do shocks probably too.

IMHO, the grille are was one of the best looking with the turn signals simulating driving lights. Pundits of the time said it gave it the "sporty European look".

I'm debating adding some cheapo walmart "blazer" yellow fog lights too, for the rally car look.

-
Back