Early dart electrical gremlin???

-

Reaction score
I have a weird one. Thought I would see if any one has had this problem. My dart has virgin wiring. Not hacked up any were. Well the other day coming home from a cruse in I hit the switch on the floar to turn on my brights. Well the headlights went to bright no problem. But the speedo went dim, and the left and right turn signal dash lights came on with the little red bright indicator. Any one ever had this problem before? Every thing is normal with the headlights on dim. Thanks!!

Offhand, I'd say you have a grounding problem with your dash cluster

WHILE YOU HAVE IT OUT, and that's what you probably need to do, check a few things carefully:

(Not that hard to remove. Drop the column, remove the cluster screws, reach up and unscrew the speedo cable. Fold the cluster "down and forward" and it should come out then unhook the board connectors CAREFULLY)

Check the connectors from the harness to the cluster PC board. They get loose, corroded, etc. Solder them to the board, and clean the connectors

Remove the attaching screws from the PC boards / casting and clean the board where the screws contact, tighten/ loosen the screws to scrub them clean, better yet find new screws and use INSIDE STAR washers under the screws

Loosen/ tighten the nuts on the temp/ fuel gauge

Solder the voltage limiter contacts (the brass springy things) from the brass to the board

Make up a ground pigtail, put it under one of the screws on the cluster ground, and hook it to the column support behind the cluster

Thanks! I will have to give that a try this weekend! Thanks!

Offhand, I'd say you have a grounding problem with your dash cluster

WHILE YOU HAVE IT OUT, and that's what you probably need to do, check a few things carefully:

(Not that hard to remove. Drop the column, remove the cluster screws, reach up and unscrew the speedo cable. Fold the cluster "down and forward" and it should come out then unhook the board connectors CAREFULLY)

Check the connectors from the harness to the cluster PC board. They get loose, corroded, etc. Solder them to the board, and clean the connectors

Remove the attaching screws from the PC boards / casting and clean the board where the screws contact, tighten/ loosen the screws to scrub them clean, better yet find new screws and use INSIDE STAR washers under the screws

Loosen/ tighten the nuts on the temp/ fuel gauge

Solder the voltage limiter contacts (the brass springy things) from the brass to the board

Make up a ground pigtail, put it under one of the screws on the cluster ground, and hook it to the column support behind the cluster

First I have to ask, Did those turn indicators went back off when you went back to low beam ?

Here's my guess...
The problem is chassis ground(s) at the radiator core support. Current will seek and use any path to ground it can find. High beam light current used the park/turn fixtures for ground. The low beam probably does the same just not so bright that you notice it.
If cleaning/improving the grounds out there doesn't cure the problem, you'll need to
start looking at the positive side of the circuits, starting with the harness connector on the headlight switch. It may be melting.

First I have to ask, Did those turn indicators went back off when you went back to low beam ?

Here's my guess...
The problem is chassis ground(s) at the radiator core support. Current will seek and use any path to ground it can find. High beam light current used the park/turn fixtures for ground. The low beam probably does the same just not so bright that you notice it.
If cleaning/improving the grounds out there doesn't cure the problem, you'll need to
start looking at the positive side of the circuits, starting with the harness connector on the headlight switch. It may be melting.

Yep,
Went back to normal when returned to low beam. I will give the grounds a check. Thanks!

-
Back