Early Valiant with XHD leaf sprAngs.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can yall post some pictures of some early Valiants with XHD leaf springs please? No lowering blocks, no removed leafs. Just stock XHD springs. Thank you drive through.

Were there any? I didn't think so aside from the D-Darts. I just added leaves to mine.

Here is mine Rusty, XHD springs from JRS purchased from Mancini's no add on's or anything removed.
Bob

z340.JPG

z342.JPG

z344.JPG

z345.JPG

z347.JPG

z346.JPG

Thank you! That looks dang good! How does it handle?

It handles very nice. I replaced the stock factory springs (worn out) and it brought up the back end of the car about 4 inches. It was cheaper buying the JRS springs through Mancini's than it was if I would have bought them right from John R Springs them selves.
Bob

Would still like some help here, yall. Thank you.

Would still like some help here, yall. Thank you.

What help do you need?

I did the same thing 66 Cuda did on my '65 Dart Charger when I installed an 8-3/4 diff. I wouldn't think the process would be any different if you fitted the springs to a 7-1/4 diff.
When I rebuilt my suspension I used a book, "Performance Handling For Classic Mopars" by Tom Condran. I highly recommend the book as a reference and how to upgrade your suspension to modern standards. On page 101 he describes how to lower the rear ride height safely without inducing oversteer. Cut two 4-1/4" pieces off 3-1/2" X 3-1/2" X 3/16" square tubing and replace the front spring hangers with them. Use the old hangers as templates for drilling new holes, and either use the old studs or new 5/16" NF studs pressed into the new hangers. Raising the holes 1" will lower the rear bumper height approximately 2-1/4", but it's not a precise adjustment. The HD springs raise the rear bumper height about 4", so lowering it 2-1/4" should be about right for me.

I would like more pictures. I can do the job blindfolded, but I would like to see some on a Valiant or Dart. That Barracuda is beautiful, but the lines are a little different.

I would like more pictures. I can do the job blindfolded, but I would like to see some on a Valiant or Dart. That Barracuda is beautiful, but the lines are a little different.
Nice to know someone else out there appreciates a good muscle car stance and doesn't want to lower it to the weeds and look like an idiot.

When I first got my 68 dart I cranked the torsion bars 17 turns up on each side and put some spring extender thingies to raise the rear.

It looked super stock but the springs were junk so the badass look was short lived and then started looking saggy and wasted.

Have them on my 66 valiant. Raises the back end ALOT. Wish I had some good pics. Guess this post is worthless without pics :rofl:

This photo was taken just after installation of HD rear springs and raising front end to attempt to level the car. Wheels are 15" Cragars with 235/60-15 tires, so you can see how high the car was raised. Note how much front wheel well is showing.
65Dart Charger crop.JPG

This photo was taken just after installation of HD rear springs and raising front end to attempt to level the car. Wheels are 15" Cragars with 235/60-15 tires, so you can see how high the car was raised. Note how much front wheel well is showing.
View attachment 1715288480

That's cool, I really like that. Thanks.

View attachment 1715288480

I also notice you have a rear sway bar. How does it handle? Do you feel like the height in the rear takes away any handling? I'm not building a canyon carver, but I would like it to drive better than stock. I do intend to add front and rear bars. Thanks very much for taking the time to post.

I also notice you have a rear sway bar. How does it handle? Do you feel like the height in the rear takes away any handling? I'm not building a canyon carver, but I would like it to drive better than stock. I do intend to add front and rear bars. Thanks very much for taking the time to post.
I'm lowering the rear of the car per the method I described.
I changed the suspension as a system, so it would be difficult to tell what one item made the most difference, but it handles exceptionally well for an old A Body. I'm in the process of installing the Borgeson steering box, as the "no road feel" steering detracted from my driving experience.

I don’t know if this helps you or not. But here’s Jasons setup.

Rebuilt 1966 Barracuda formula S leafs.

Slant 6 torsion bars cranked down a little for tire clearance.

It has a pretty good “stance”. Lol.

We’re not sure we’re in love with this stance yet. But time and tires will tell. Lol

Hope this helps. Eric.

C2A09D8C-FB80-41FA-9383-8C5C514E4C92.jpeg
C80F2A20-DCF9-4F27-BE5A-70B38990C70C.jpeg
E4A857AB-B4F9-410D-85C0-F1B5736C2E0E.jpeg

Nice to know someone else out there appreciates a good muscle car stance and doesn't want to lower it to the weeds and look like an idiot.

When I first got my 68 dart I cranked the torsion bars 17 turns up on each side and put some spring extender thingies to raise the rear.

Really Rainy? Spring extender thingies? Did you mean longer rear spring shackles?
Never a good idea on a Mopar. As you found out the rear springs soon take on a reverse arch and you defeat your intended purpose. Mopar engineers did a good job on the rear spring geometry but for some reason people think they can do it better.
What's next air shocks front and rear?

:lol:
They are an option. "Lowers the car by 1 1/2" " measured where? Hopefully at the rocker panel adjacent to the spring perch. They may work for one's application, and may not, in which case they could end up back on eBay. I'm going to start with the through bolt raised one inch, and maybe try another set lowered 1 1/4" if lowering the rear bumper 2 1/4" isn't enough. In the end, I might wish I'd bought the perches off eBay! :thumbsup:

With not a lot of folks posting pictures of the exact car you’d like to see with XHD springs, it sounds like this is your opportunity to buy the springs and post photos for the rest us. That way when another member asks a similar question, in due time, photos will exist!

-
Back