Earnin' a crust

-

cjh

Reaction score
This is what I do to earn a crust......make a living.....job.
I rebuild Caterpillar OHT wheel ends......Off Highway Trucks.....dump trucks.
Do all the OHT's from 769's to the 797B's.
I work at a Caterpillar dealership, called Hastings Deering.
Those are the wheel bearing cones on a pallet...they weigh 182kgs each.
The 797 rear wheel ends roughly weigh 14,000kgs....each.
The last one got a little damaged.....about $300,000 AUD in parts only.

IMGP1061_resize.JPG

CAT 997 rear truck wheel ends 002.jpg

IMGP1032_resize.jpg

IMGP4870.jpg

my step dad would have like that he did big trunk repair and we had a trex plant here in stow ohio at one time sweet job.

I used to drive one of these off-road R-35 Euclid trucks down the steepest haul road east of the Mississippi.. Back when I was young, dumb and fearless, saw one of these run over a toyota car once on our haul road, a drunk guy with a baby in the car, Scared the hell out of me, crushed the guys legs under the dash and steering wheel, the only part of the car it didn't crush was the rear seat area where the baby was in it's car seat, baby didn't get a scratch.. You never forget something like that...

imagevp.php

hey I weld those 797 frames together at decatur plant the frame alone is 95000 lbs heavy trucks! let me know when you get an f model set up I want to know how long they last.

Very cool stuff. My grandpa used to be a heavy duty mechanic. I've seen some of these machines. There MASSIVE.

hey I weld those 797 frames together at decatur plant the frame alone is 95000 lbs heavy trucks! let me know when you get an f model set up I want to know how long they last.

As far as I know there are no 797F's here yet, or the 795F's either. There are a heap of coal mines here, and some are looking at CAT and Komatsu machines.
There are some gen sets here with the new V20 Cat engine.
We don't get the trucks at our w/shop here, just the engines, diffs, F&R wheelends, transmissions, suspension components, steering components, and hydraulic components. The trucks are too big to bring here. The biggest ones they bring here are the 793's.
The pics I have are of old machines being totally rebuilt,.....cheaper than new, same warranty as new, and have them sooner.

IMGP2422_resize.jpg

IMGP2423_resize.jpg

IMGP2424_resize.jpg

IMGP2425_resize.jpg

Boy, the planatary gear set in that one wheel end sure looks chewed up!

Much smaller scale here, as I work on backhoes and loaders.

been working tens on those darn things but seeing those pics puts a little motivation in me they are neat Ill try to get some pics of me at work with the frame in a rollover!!

Those are the biggest wheel bearings I've ever seen in my life.

Very cool photos! Keep them coming guys, and be careful at work sheesh. LOL

Well i'll join in the fun i guess. But I don't have pictures due to the information security agreement I had to sign...

I personally had my hands in on building the very first test plane for the US Navy P-8A. Something I'll be able to tell people about for the rest of my life :D:D

Also built more than 200 tail sections for the boeing 737. I'm in QA now, so next time you fly, remember that you may be flying on something I built ;) MUAHAHAHA!!

Wonder if that will fit a a-body? Might have to shorten the axles a litte:-D I like to see the machinery that makes those big *** precision parts. Large scale precision machinery fascinates me with the accuracy and repeatabilty it can maintain with proper maintenace. Thanks for sharing

I got a chuckle when I thought to myself about hand packing those bearings. Very cool.

Here's my crust, Don't get dirty, cleaner than a hospital, I love my work and the precision of these tools will boggle your mind.......prints down to 32 nanometer line widths 24-7 and 7 days a week. A true work of art in technology.

chip.jpg

ASML-XT1950i.jpg

-
Back