Easiest method to remove tranny/engine bolts

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
Look for the easiest way to remove the tranny/engine bolts. I have a 73 340 Duster into which am putting a 408. We panned on leaving the tranny in the car, or would it be easier to remove the tranny and engine at the same time?

Thanks!

DSCF0742.jpg

All I can offer is my way of doing things...
I throw a strap or chain around the torsion bars to support the trans at front. Then pull the trans support (cross member section). Lower the rear of the trans , catching fluid in a pan, and go after those bolts with a long extension/universal/socket/ impact.

Just block up the tranny where it sits now. Remove you torque converter bolts, wiring, and bellhousing bolts. Engine should come out with no issues. I've done this more than once on an early-A. Now going back in you may have to do a little lining up to get everything to mate again.

I would leave the trans in.

Now when installing the engine, I like to take 2 long bolts and cut the heads off. Screw 1 bolt -not tight so they unscrew easy-on each side of the bell housing, where the trans bolts go. This way its easier to slip it on to the trans.

Make sure the T.C. does not slip out at all.

And mark your flexplate on the new engine to line up with your torque convertor bolts so it indexed properly. Nothing worse than getting 2 or three bolts in the TC, then realize it's not indexed properly. BTDT! DOH!!!

Look for the easiest way to remove the tranny/engine bolts.

This is the main reason I bought the flexible ratchet wrenches. For just this one job alone, this wrench is worth it's weight in gold to me.:toothy7:

Leave the trans in it unless it needs work too. You can support the trans using a ratcheting movers strap slung underneath the trans and either around the T bars or across the engine bay with a 2x4 spanning the fenders to support it.

I've found a combination of either a flop head 3/8 drive socket wrench or a plain old box wrench works fine to get the bell housing bolts out. A flex head ratcheting box wrench as mentioned above would be nice too. No big mystery getting them out, just a little patience. You should have guide pins in the engine block to locate the trans for assembly as far as I know.

Have fun !

Also I believe the 408 is external balance so a different flexplate or torque converter will be needed. If it is a column shift don't forget to unhook the linkage, it will tilt the trans when you raise it and make alignment difficult.

-
Back