Easy rear end swap that works!

-

hemidart1

Reaction score
I just finished installing my new rear end on my car. It's an 8 inch Ford from a '64 Fairlane V8 car. It is about an 2 inches narrower than an 8 3/4. the rear end cost me $100 with brakes, the mini spool was $25 and if I need them, custom axles(I'm only running about 325 horse from my magnum motor) are around $200.

anyhow I just installed 6 inch steel rims with 26x8.5 Mickey Thompson slicks and they fit with an inch and a half per side of room.

It's an easy swap (just have to change the Ford mounting plates to Mopar ones which cost $10 bucks) and gives you a little more tire room. There are lots of early Fairlanes around junk yards.

Al.

I just finished installing my new rear end on my car. It's an 8 inch Ford from a '64 Fairlane V8 car. It is about an 2 inches narrower than an 8 3/4. the rear end cost me $100 with brakes, the mini spool was $25 and if I need them, custom axles(I'm only running about 325 horse from my magnum motor) are around $200.

anyhow I just installed 6 inch steel rims with 26x8.5 Mickey Thompson slicks and they fit with an inch and a half per side of room.

It's an easy swap (just have to change the Ford mounting plates to Mopar ones which cost $10 bucks) and gives you a little more tire room. There are lots of early Fairlanes around junk yards.

Al.

Nice info, Al, thanks. I've been thinking about modifying an 8.8 out of a Mustang or Explorer to put under my '65 Valiant. They're plentiful, cheap, and come with limited slip diffs and discs stock. From what I've seen, they're about 4 inches wider than the old 7.25, though. Anybody done this swap?

-
Back