Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
Made some progress tying the DP to my existing dual exhaust.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got it almost buttoned up. Took it for the first few test drives today. Started out really lean and would not accelerate at all. Put the extensions on the carb vents. Huge change! Really rich. Jetted it down about 8 numbers front and back and now it's more reaponsive but a tad rich. .68 on lambda scale. Leaned into it from 3rd gear and it sputters for a moment as boost builds, clears up and then it's like I added another 8 cylinders! Huge kick in the pants. At WOT measures about .68 but that sputtering/stuttering when spooling up sucks. Idled well, off-idle is sharp, just can't floor it. On top of that my boost gauge is not indicating any pressure increase but I can feel it, and it's stout.

Plenty of carb adjustments to do but getting closer. Will take a few more jet numbers out of it and see.

image.jpeg

Similar to my old build except a big block.

Need to ditch the turbo mufflers as they are baffled. Get you some free flowing mufflers like Racebullets or glass packs. I just used straight pipe, no mufflers.

Nice build!

Great Project! Have you considered using a Boost Referenced Power Valve?
Yes! One of the things I'm considering as I tune the carb. I've read that people have yielded great results with BRPVs. Thanks!

Similar to my old build except a big block.

Need to ditch the turbo mufflers as they are baffled. Get you some free flowing mufflers like Racebullets or glass packs. I just used straight pipe, no mufflers.

Nice build!
Got manual dumps on it right now but will probably put some electric ones on it eventually.

Yes! One of the things I'm considering as I tune the carb. I've read that people have yielded great results with BRPVs. Thanks!

Well , I will share what I found/did on my car , I made a 4 port BRPV removing the spring and making a small Stainless Steel retainer plate (attaches via Jets) placed a very light spring between plate and powervalve , this will open with light pressure (Your mouth can do it) originally I was trying to open this with the Hat/Bonnet Pressure , but it was not working reliably or at all? (bowl and BRPV see the same pressure) so I drilled a port into the exhaust pipework bellow the Turbine Housing ,(higher pressure earlier) This has worked perfectly, I have been concerned about the heat reaching the powervalve, but I have not seen this to be an issue as yet .... this is all happening on the 500 two barrel , I have jetted down to 68's and drilled the metering plate to 67 thou , cruise is 13.7 to 14.4 WOT is 11.3 @ only 3psi ,never made a Blowthrough before so its really just a systems test , I am concerned about Distribution so I will go to 4bbl before I give it much more Boost ....
Last Pic is TQ Hood Clearance Check with the 4BBL

20160202_091600.jpg

20160729_191141.jpg

20160806_131137.jpg

Do you have any sense of how soon that PV opens with your setup and that light spring? Does it happen before boost?

If I am to be critical It opens a hair to early , but it has no lean spikes , I will give it a bit more PSI soon and report back.

Ordered the FITECH Go EFI 8 today. I have the carb pretty close to squared away and with the BRPV it would probably be spot on. I just don't have the time (patience) to work through it. If anybody is interested, I might let my E85 carb go for a decent price.

Bolted on the Fitech unit and got most of it wired. Quality of this product looks great! I'm waiting for a new spring for my FPR and a -8AN fitting and then I should be able to plug in a tune and fire it up. Gonna run it dead-headed with my existing Aeromotive regulator with return line.

image.jpeg

I thought the Fitech had a built in FPR and that you didn't have to run one? What's the block on the firewall with all the hoses going to it, vacuum distribution?

I thought the Fitech had a built in FPR and that you didn't have to run one? What's the block on the firewall with all the hoses going to it, vacuum distribution?
It does have the built in FPR, but I read on the turbo forums that the return port on the FiTech is really small (which I confirmed) and would not flow well in a high volume application like this. So, I'm going to use my Aeromotive but opened all the way and be the source for the return line (which is already plumbed) and let the FiTech regulator control pressure.

Yes, the block on the firewall is a distributor block for your pressure signal. Ebay piece. Helps organize all of that spaghetti of vacuum hose. Main signal comes off the back of the carb hat and from there is distributed to the wastegate, BOV, boost reference port of the FPR. The later will now be routed to the boost reference port on the FiTech.

Quick observation about the FiTech. It has great clearance for my low profile carb hat. There is no interference from float set screws like on Holley carbs. I can now clock my carb hat anywhere I want w/o hitting bumps on the Holley. Of course I'll leave it where it currently is at about 7 o'clock because that is how it is setup, but it wouldn't take much to clock it straight at 6 o'clock and maybe benefit from better air distribution across the throttle body.

Been tuning and testing the FiTech unit last two days. I'm impressed so far. Damn near plug 'n play. Their documentation is a little wanting, but the email support is great. Went out tonight and ran it threw the gears at WOT. Turbo seems to spool up pretty fast and my WG spring is working. I'm hitting about 5psi, which is my safe starting point. My target AFRs seem to be right on the money with the Fitech. Engine cut out at the top of 1st, so I let off a little (quickly said "humm?" to myself) and then proceeded to lean back into it, going through 2nd and 3rd. Thought I logged that run, but apparently I didn't. Looked at the tach recall and saw that I hit 6200RPMs. Bingo! That's where I set the fuel cut control on the FiTech. That explains the cut out. Mystery solved and fuel cut control works.

Torque/boost is awesome on this GT45. Can't wait to get it to the track though I'm sure I'll have a lot of bugs to work through and the overall behavior of the car will have changed so I'll need to get to know it again.

Sounds great , seems to be quite user friendly from your description , how much power can it support ?

This particular model is supposed to support up to 1200hp. With E85, it's about 30% less. And I don't have enough fuel pump volume to get anywhere close to that. My goal is around 500hp with my setup but I'll have room to grow should I choose. I'm still working through some bugs. Starts on first crank, but idle and off idles is terrible until I get up to 180F.

It's a start... Seems to block learn REALLY QUICK,from what I have read on these forums.... For the price,it seems too good ,to be true.(not knocki g the product,everyone else's product costs 30-40 percent more....

Been zeroing in on the tune with the FiTech unit. My AFRs are pretty much right on the money when entering boost. It's making about 5.5 PSI at ~5K RPMs. Car runs a little on the hot side at 215 in stop and go traffic. Of course it's extremely hot here and humidity is very high, so that doesn't help. Hope to take it to the track soon for some TnT. Vids below. These were brief runs starting in 2nd and going into 3rd briefly. Not trying to get too crazy on the street. Sorry about the poor video quality. I had a choice, either a nice GoPro camera or a Turbo....easy decision : )

You chose well ! A turbo is better than a GoPro :) Are you able to choose your target AFR numbers , I would have imagined it has a baseline tune installed , and you modify it from there ? and can your EFI system self tune at WOT . Anyhoo that turn signal sounds great :)

The baseline tune on the FiTech is for a 350 chevy, running gas. FiTech has a basic setup which allows you to plugin the CID, spark type, Cam profile (1-4) and a few other items. After that, you can specify your target AFRs throughout different profiles; Idle, cruise, WOT N/A...and then they have a boost specific profile where I set my target AFRs specifically for E85....everything on the gas scale, not Lamba.
There is a ton of tuneability available in the hand held but so far I've focused only on the basics and it seems to be working great. After warm up, the street manners are really nice.

Last edited:
Is there anyway that we could see some pictures of where the pipes converge and where you placed the wategate?

-
Back