Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
soo subscribed! This is my next project with a 273 and a smaller turbo, flipped mag logs and all. What size carb again?

What are you going to use to control your timing?
Initially I'm going to just pull a few degrees and run it as-is. I'm not planning on pushing it past 5-8 psi. And with E85 I should have some wiggle room on timing.

A little closer on the cold side. And have the alternator mounted in its final resting place.

image.jpeg

I'm getting close to buttoning up my turbo conversion and thought I'd share some pics on my progress. Car is a 65 Valiant with a stock bottom end 5.9 Magnum and EQ heads. In it's current trim it runs the equivalent of low 12s, in the 1/8 mile. I'm hopping to make it more streetable and dip down into the 10s.

Build is an Ebay GT45, Ebay Wastegate and BOV.
I fabbed the hotside out of 2.5" mild steel. Downpipe will be a 4" necked down to 3" and then T'd into my existing dual 2.5" exhaust to the bumper. The downpipe is really all I have left as far as fab goes....and maybe a few other small pieces.

Carb is an older 4150 DP I converted to E85 blow-thru with the Quick Fuel metering blocks.

View attachment 1714935314

Your 12's in the 1/8th mile? I would think your N/A configuration should be running 8.50's in the 1/8th.
Turbo with slicks should dip into the low 7's or high 6's,again with traction.
By the way your work looks very good,a patient fellow..

Your 12's in the 1/8th mile? I would think your N/A configuration should be running 8.50's in the 1/8th.
Turbo with slicks should dip into the low 7's or high 6's,again with traction.
By the way your work looks very good,a patient fellow..
It runs regular 7.90s on the 1/8 with a best of 7.65 on drag radials and through mufflers. It's "all in the combo", as they say. It currently has a 4.30 spool in it, which helps my times but I'm hoping I can drop that to a 3.23 or lower and still pick up some time. Getting closer. First start up was last night. Thanks.

If you think of it I bet some of us would appreciate more detailed photos of the "tight spots" like the exhaust, etc and underneath. Man that looks good

If you think of it I bet some of us would appreciate more detailed photos of the "tight spots" like the exhaust, etc and underneath. Man that looks good
If I show you too up-close you might get scared of all the mutant caterpillars crawling all over where normal welds should be!

Right there! Hell on earth. That bend from the pass side exhaust manifold up to the converge. That put more grey hairs on my head than all my years of marriage!

image.jpeg

With a short or Zero timing curve manifold vacuum to the distributor will act like pressure retard.....

I'm running off mech advance only. Vacuum can is disconnected.
NA I was running 12 initial, was at 25 degrees at 2500rpm and 35 all in at 3000rpm.

Got the BOV mounted to cold side, aluminum brazed. Seems to be pretty solid.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Still have a lot of house keeping to do and then lots of tuning on the carb. EFI would be nice.

Nice work! How are you gonna do all the tuning to the carb and timing? Are you gonna increase boost to a maximum safe level? Or just be happy with 8-10 lbs and call it good? I rented a dyno by the hour on my last engine build, Was well worth the money! Picked up a good 65hp by bumping the jets almost 10 points. Plan on doing the same when I get my turbo build completed.

What was B/T mod on the 750, standard power valve enlargement and huge jets? that turbo is large. Makes mine look like a slide whistle.

Nice work! How are you gonna do all the tuning to the carb and timing? Are you gonna increase boost to a maximum safe level? Or just be happy with 8-10 lbs and call it good? I rented a dyno by the hour on my last engine build, Was well worth the money! Picked up a good 65hp by bumping the jets almost 10 points. Plan on doing the same when I get my turbo build completed.
With this motor and my modest goals I'm going to keep it under 10psi and try to make it last and enjoy it. And until I get the carb dialed in or switch to EFI (probably the FiTech) I'll keep pressure on the very low side ~5psi.

Have you been able to drive it yet?

I ran 13 lbs of boost (10 lbs if I were at sea level) on my 318 with E85 and it runs very strong. You won't be disappointed with a 360 and 10 lbs.

No, not yet. Still have some tidying up to do. I cut up the down pipe this weekend and re-did part of it. I had the V-flange at a place that was nearly impossible to access so I moved it up further on the DP. After I'm finished with that, I still need to tie it to the existing dual exhaust. I can't stand the sound of it running fully open. I probably won't push mine as high as 10lbs unless im on EFI and have a more precise tune but your results are promising.

i38734-jpg.1714919322
I'm running off mech advance only. Vacuum can is disconnected.
NA I was running 12 initial, was at 25 degrees at 2500rpm and 35 all in at 3000rpm.
A lean burn Distributor has no mechanical and is able to accept vacuum pod and breaker plate. Simple and safe. 20 degrees initial and a 14-16 degree pod... Well you get the idea.... FBO plate on zero should do the same thing.

Last edited:
-
Back