Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
7PSI seems low for killing head gaskets, thats why i'm asking.lol. I was gonna Hang 9psi on this teener via twin cheapo t3/t4 hybids and let her rip.lol

7PSI seems low for killing head gaskets, thats why i'm asking.lol. I was gonna Hang 9psi on this teener via twin cheapo t3/t4 hybids and let her rip.lol
Yeah, you would think 7psi is nothing but maybe these gaskets weren't up to snuff even at 7psi. Pressure could have spiked also. When I come off the line you can hear the engine pop twice in quick succession. Could have leaned out or the boost spiked briefly. Wish I had logged it...sigh

Yeah, you would think 7psi is nothing but maybe these gaskets weren't up to snuff even at 7psi. Pressure could have spiked also. When I come off the line you can hear the engine pop twice in quick succession. Could have leaned out or the boost spiked briefly. Wish I had logged it...sigh

I figure a 1978 model 318 with its racecar 7.5 :1 compression ratio, lazy converter, and HWY gears is a prime candidate. I mean...with a fitech or sniper having blow through capability...it's basically irresponsible NOT to turbo it.... :)

I figure a 1978 model 318 with its racecar 7.5 :1 compression ratio, lazy converter, and HWY gears is a prime candidate. I mean...with a fitech or sniper having blow through capability...it's basically irresponsible NOT to turbo it.... :)

Yep, and I think you should name your project "Three-Grenade-Teen" and push it till it throws shrapnel.

Yep, and I think you should name your project "Three-Grenade-Teen" and push it till it throws shrapnel.
upload_2017-1-16_15-23-47.png

Just FYI I blew one of these 0.28 compressed head gaskets on my NA magnum 5.9. Went to fel pro 1008s and have had no issues. I'm not running boost just wanted to point out that the head gasket could have been the week link.

Just FYI I blew one of these 0.28 compressed head gaskets on my NA magnum 5.9. Went to fel pro 1008s and have had no issues. I'm not running boost just wanted to point out that the head gasket could have been the week link.
Thanks Bud! Just got my 1008s and will put the motor back together this weekend.

IMG_4168.JPG
A few pics of the car before the last races. I just painted the hood and steelies with the body color.

Very nice! Awesome build! I like the stock sleeper look. I want to do the same with my dart, looks like the fie tech works well, was waiting to see how well they worked for blow through deal. Have you tried a different gear? Still 4.30's? Turbos love to pull the higher gear.

damn that's a nice looking car. Get those better 1008 felpros on there, do a retorque and get it back on the road.

It looks like it was running pretty good what were you running in the 1/4? Do you feel it was tuned pretty well? Still working on it? How much timing were you running with the 7 lbs?

Very nice! Awesome build! I like the stock sleeper look. I want to do the same with my dart, looks like the fie tech works well, was waiting to see how well they worked for blow through deal. Have you tried a different gear? Still 4.30's? Turbos love to pull the higher gear.
Not yet. I have a 3.23 Sure Grip sitting in the garage. Need to order new 30 spline axels and a yoke and then it's going in. I have a feeling though that the 3.23s will slow me down in the 1/8th.

It looks like it was running pretty good what were you running in the 1/4? Do you feel it was tuned pretty well? Still working on it? How much timing were you running with the 7 lbs?
I ran a 7.50/98mph on that run when the head gaskets let go. I have total timing set to 28* under boost. I think that is more than conservative for E85 and only 7psi. When I tested on the street the motor felt really strong and responsive with that timing in boost.

Engine on the stand. Bottom end looks fine. No signs of detonation or damage. No metal in the pan or anywhere and assembly rotates just fine, cylinder walls look perfect. Going to clean it up, inspect one more time even closer and then it's going back together. Got my new 1008s and one piece Magnum pan gasket yesterday. Ordered a new high volume water pump also to see if that helps with my cooling issues. Still need to order intake gaskets. Totally forgot. I have an old single plane Holley Dominator I might try.
IMG_4202.JPG

Not yet. I have a 3.23 Sure Grip sitting in the garage. Need to order new 30 spline axels and a yoke and then it's going in. I have a feeling though that the 3.23s will slow me down in the 1/8th.

What rpm through the traps? It may or may not, be interesting to see how it reacts. It might help out on the start line. I have notices on a lot of turbo cars it didn't seem to make much difference, but most of that was in the 1/4 mile.

I have actually, just haven't put a ton of thought into it.
I currently have a catch can that is fed from the top of both valve covers. I have standard PCVs that I removed the check valve from so they are continuously wide open.

Then isn't that putting 7psi into your crankcase through the open PCV?
A 1 way check valve of some sort needs to be between the Catch can and intake.

Then isn't that putting 7psi into your crankcase through the open PCV?
A 1 way check valve of some sort needs to be between the Catch can and intake.
Hummm. Making me think about this. Actually there is no turbo pressure introduced directly into the PCV. The PCV valves are on the top of both valve convers and are plumbed from there to the catch can. But maybe I'm making some kind of turbo amateur mistake?

What rpm through the traps? It may or may not, be interesting to see how it reacts. It might help out on the start line. I have notices on a lot of turbo cars it didn't seem to make much difference, but most of that was in the 1/4 mile.
Not sure on my trap RPM but I'm sure I could calculate it. Regardless, I'll eventually throw in those 3.23s and I promise to report back here with the 1/8 mile results.

Hummm. Making me think about this. Actually there is no turbo pressure introduced directly into the PCV. The PCV valves are on the top of both valve convers and are plumbed from there to the catch can. But maybe I'm making some kind of turbo amateur mistake?

If the CC was open to the atmosphere but only connect to the VC, it's not really doing much.
If the CC was closed it's not doing anything at all, since there would be no gas flow.

BlowBy Gases should go in this direction--> Crankcase-->Catch Can-->Check Valve-->Intake.
Again the check valve is used to prevent pressurizing the crankcase(boost leak)

Main signal comes off the back of the carb hat and from there is distributed to the wastegate, BOV, boost reference port of the FPR. The later will now be routed to the boost reference port on the FiTech.

It's a huge no,no to connect the FPR's Boost Reference to anything associated with the Wastegate if using a Boost controller.

Not sure on my trap RPM but I'm sure I could calculate it. Regardless, I'll eventually throw in those 3.23s and I promise to report back here with the 1/8 mile results.

I will be watching for updates, I had to reread from the beginning of the post, very nice job!

It's a huge no,no to connect the FPR's Boost Reference to anything associated with the Wastegate if using a Boost controller.
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm still learning. Should I run the WG directly off the compressor or where do you recommend.

-
Back