Ebay GT45 Turbo

-
What heads? Induction? And the 3:91 gear will hurt not help. A 3:23 gear will load the turbo more. Keep the converter tight and low/medium stall speed.

E7ED7BEB-615B-4CC3-8807-717B2102AAE9.png

Hp curves from an over cammed, over turbod 4.8 liter. Richard’s words not mine. This is an s475 and look where it makes power. Everything is up after 4500 rpm.

5C0BA9D3-FC2A-469C-B059-8785F17ACBDB.png

Boost curves from a cammed 5.3 LS with a DNA 69mm gt45.

I have to respectfully disagree. That’s exactly the size gt45 I was talking about when I said it would be lazy on a mild 318. It’s a 1.05 AR hot side also. @Moparturbo, that will work and it will make boost, eventually, but something in the lower 60 mm range would be much more enjoyable to drive on a mild 318.
True I see you point, a smaller turbo would be better more useful.

Has J heads. 650 double pumper on E85.
I like the e85 and the 650dp. Have the J heads been cut? If not with your 318 bottom end and xe268 cam, i see your compression ratio down in the 7s.

There's an easy fix to all this. Find a cheap 360 and do all the same shnitt to it with the same parts. Get it up to 9:1 compression, with a mild cam. 325-350 hp build. Now add gt45.

Not that I am aware of. The 318 I am using is a 1986 that had a roller cam and swirl port heads. I bet its about a 10cc difference between the swirl and J heads. According to some searches, looks like that engine was 9.1 with the swirl ports.

There's an easy fix to all this. Find a cheap 360 and do all the same shnitt to it with the same parts. Get it up to 9:1 compression, with a mild cam. 325-350 hp build. Now add gt45.
I have a 340 short block with the 3.58 stroke and low compression forged pistons. I was just wanting to use the 318 as a test mule for tuning before I use the 372.
Blow through carb and E85 is all new to me.

I have a 340 short block with the 3.58 stroke and low compression forged pistons. I was just wanting to use the 318 as a test mule for tuning before I use the 372.
Blow through carb and E85 is all new to me.
Ahhh. Well then, stop worrying about it and get the gt45.

It might be laggy. But NA engines have infinite turbo lag.

Add ring gap, good rod bolts, main and head studs and MLS gaskets. It'll handle more than you can imagine.

Well, I don’t want to spend your money. If you have the gt45 already just stick it on and get to tuning. If you were gonna keep the 318 and make it the primary engine then there are better choices for a turbo. Either way post up what you do.

Well, I don’t want to spend your money. If you have the gt45 already just stick it on and get to tuning. If you were gonna keep the 318 and make it the primary engine then there are better choices for a turbo. Either way post up what you do.
I appreciate the help. I do not have the turbo yet. I was just thinking I could use that cheap GT45 to start with and even use it later on the 372 if it worked ok. I just got the MLS head gaskets and head studs so I plan on putting the engine together at the end of this month.

I appreciate the help. I do not have the turbo yet. I was just thinking I could use that cheap GT45 to start with and even use it later on the 372 if it worked ok. I just got the MLS head gaskets and head studs so I plan on putting the engine together at the end of this month.
Nice. Like @Mean416 said, make sure you gap the rings.

I second that. Make sure you post it up. Not enough of these get past daydreaming phase, where my projects linger :/

Can also look at on3performance for turbos, I have two of theirs and they are good quality, tons of positive reviews and they aren't that expensive as some of the top name brands.

Honorable mention for VS racing turbos. I’ve used a bunch of em and they work really well.

I dealt with Viren (VS racing) when setting up the engine in my boat. He was great to talk to and knows his products well. I run two of his gen 2.5 billet 78/75s and they flat out work.
B360AB20-D897-4E52-8AE2-2F9650539C87.jpeg

F78B7712-9F2F-4D6D-93D8-AE470169C762.png

-
Back