Ebay impulse buy now seller wants out

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
So as usual I am browsing around Craiglist, Ebay ect. again last night. I see a solid looking 1963 Caddy Deville sedan on there for $1700 and figure what the heck and put an offer in. Well I get up this morning and I won it for $1750. I already found a replacement lower bumper end.

Now the owner has asked me to cancel my purchase without giving a reason. I assume the reason is they didn't pay for the reserve and they didn't figure it could go so cheap. I reached out to the seller and there has been no response. I honestly don't really even want the car very much. My wife already has a 1967 Deville convertible. Just looking for input on what you would do. I am going to sit on it for a day or so. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 63 caddy.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 355
I didn't ask for a way out. You are probably right though. I don't want it that much and only bought it because it seemed like a very good deal. The seller is obviously not happy so nothing good will come of this. Back to looking for the 1970/1 Fury I really want.

If you want it, make the seller jump through the hoops and leave appropriate feedback if he doesn't follow through with the transaction. That is the only way to hold sellers accountable.

yep, if it had been cash on the barrel head, it would be a done deal and no further action.

Unfortunately, for 3rd party transactions, with possession of the title being the proverbial 9/10th of the law, there is pretty much no recourse except negative feedback which can cut both ways.

Stupid them, but they got rewarded!

Flaw of ebay major transaction system relying on integrity of both parties.

Tough call.....would be leery of the guy leaving negative feedback. But if you really don't want it then guess just walk away.

Tough call.....would be leery of the guy leaving negative feedback. But if you really don't want it then guess just walk away.
As a seller he can only leave the OP a pos. feedback. However if the seller does not complete the deal the OP can leave them a neg. feedback. I would not accept anything other than completeing the deal as it was not your fault and you say you already had bought parts for the car.

Sorry. I hadn't bought parts just started to look for them and found them and started the process to go get the car but hadn't sent or spent any money yet. The car looked pretty complete but needed a new lower bumper end and some clean up. Sorry for the confusion.

Guys, he doesn't want the car! The seller doesn't want to sell it. Why does there even need to be a discussion? There doesn't need to be ANY feedback. JUST WALK AWAY.

Guys, he doesn't want the car! The seller doesn't want to sell it. Why does there even need to be a discussion? There doesn't need to be ANY feedback. JUST WALK AWAY.

Will do.....I don't hear any comments indicating that the deal was that great either (it's been a while since I bought a nice car for 37 cents a pound though:D). I agree the easiest thing to do is walk away. I didn't say I didn't want the car at all, just not that much....I want every car, especially if I think they would be fun to drive and are a good deal. I don't think I will try buying from ebay again any time soon. It is much better talking face to face and shaking hands on the deal. Like other things on the internet it makes it too easy for some not to be honest and honor their deals. I am going to take some time and make sure the seller knows they messed up though. Hopefully it will make them think next time they auction their car with no reserve.

Will do.....I don't hear any comments indicating that the deal was that great either (it's been a while since I bought a nice car for 37 cents a pound though:D). I agree the easiest thing to do is walk away. I didn't say I didn't want the car....I want every car, especially if I think they would be fun to drive and are a good deal.

The car is a hell of a deal. Look what they have been selling for in the completed auctions.

Sounds like you don't want it...

Probably not stated well on my part. For $1750 I wanted it more because I thought it was a smokin' deal for a cool car. I was not out looking for a 1963 Cadillac sedan last night by a long shot.

The more I think about it you are right. If I really wanted it I would be leaning way more towards pushing the seller to sell it to me than walking away. I am trying to convince myself I shouldn't walk away from it. Thanks for helping me understand that. I believe I have made up my mind to walk away from this one.

How far is the car away from you? That adds into the cost. If you can get it without to much additional cost I'd buy it and turn around and sell it. Just cause the seller wants to back out...that shouldn't really factor into it.

It was about 3 hours away. I did back out and cancel the purchase as the seller requested. I am sure I did a dis-service to all the other Ebay folks by not letting move forward to the point of me leaving bad feedback but I figured it wasnt' worth the PITA just to get to the fact that I wouldn't get a car. Oh well. I have two other projects in the works.

I thought those ebay auctions are suppose to be a binding contract. Not that it would be worth your time enforcing it in court. You could however push your position and try to force the seller to follow through with his part of the contract.

Honestly I would like to know how binding the contract was. I understand they can just back out and it is up to me to ruin their feedback. Otherwise there is nothing legally binding....If I bought it and then backed out I am sure it would just ruin my Ebay ratings. The seller had been around since 2004 with 100% feedback so that is part of the reason I both bought the car and backed out of it without causing a fuss. Actually their ratings were very similar to mine.

I agree, there should not be much discussion, but the seller wants him to back out. This would release the seller from fees and feedback. It is not really a problem until you realize this can keep happening until he sells the car for what he wants, and that means a lot of aggravation to others--that would be us right now. He needs to let the buyer back out by notifying eBay of the matter. eBay May not be perfect, but at least the feedback is about 99% correct.

Unless you REALLY don't want the car, after figuring all the transportation costs etc., I would've made it a little bit hard for him. Y'know, here's this guy playing little games by not putting a reserve up......and the coin didn't fall on his call. Personally, I think you probably could've made some money on that thing.....maybe....that's a cool car. Love 4-door hardtops.

The aspect you need to look at is: what would the final bid be without you bidding?
That is the true worth of the car.

It doesn't really matter as you don't want it.

So as usual I am browsing around Craiglist, Ebay ect. again last night. I see a solid looking 1963 Caddy Deville sedan on there for $1700 and figure what the heck and put an offer in. Well I get up this morning and I won it for $1750. I already found a replacement lower bumper end.

Now the owner has asked me to cancel my purchase without giving a reason. I assume the reason is they didn't pay for the reserve and they didn't figure it could go so cheap. I reached out to the seller and there has been no response. I honestly don't really even want the car very much. My wife already has a 1967 Deville convertible. Just looking for input on what you would do. I am going to sit on it for a day or so. Here's a picture.

Thats totally bad, id so drive that.

Dude thats bad looking, idm drive that car.

-
Back