economic 318 aftermarket heads

-
rotten gas that turns to varnish...will gum up the valve and the valve will not be able to open...bending the pushrods...

and went the valve hangs open...guess what..the piston hits it....as I said before...been there with an old motor home that was parked for years...
so the heads were soaking in gas for 3 plus years? i have rebuilt 40-50 sets of heads over the last 30 years and never seen anything on a valve stem that would keep a valve spring from shutting a valve. imo, it would be impossible for a valve to stick shut all by itself to the point a pushrod would bend. i wont disagree you had a bent pushrod or valve, i wil disagree that old gas caused it.

Installing 302 heads is exactly what I did on the 318 in the Demon. Coupled with the 68 pistons, I have a little bit of a sleeper on my hands. The 302 heads came out in 85 and were used through the end of LA 318 production in 91. All you want will be the head assemblies. Check for cracks, no burned valves, clean up, new seals, and run 'em til you're tired of 'em.

I used flat hydraulic tappets on my build up and stock pushrods. No changes were needed to the rocker gear. My heads came off an 86 Diplomat in a Pik-n-Pull lot. All I did was what I suggested. Since I am running a stouter than stock cam, I did change the springs. Even with the spring change, I am out less than $150.

wat do u guys think of putting edlbrock performaner heads on a 318

I think it's a lot of cash for a 318 but they'll work. I'd still just run the Engine Quest Magnums.

yea ur right ,, im going to run it with money i have

-
Back