Economical replacement rocker arm set?

-
I can tell you I have seen guys who are using used stuff and mixing parts get into issues with ticking. The problem is they have too much clearance between the rockers and they move back and forth and make a sound like a lifter ticking. Shimming the rockers and centering the rocker over the valve stem can help.
MP used to sell the shim set to take care of that.

MP used to sell the shim set to take care of that.

I know. I've scrounged those little buggars for years but I can't remember the part number or I'd have posted it.

I think *THINK* Mancini has them but they want a pile of gold and your left peanut last time I asked.

I know. I've scrounged those little buggars for years but I can't remember the part number or I'd have posted it.

I think *THINK* Mancini has them but they want a pile of gold and your left peanut last time I asked.
EDIT: Nevermind. Wrong set.

I went to my 1988 DC catalog and flung the part number for the shim kit.

P3690896 is one kit with 12 shims.

I wonder if valve spring shims would work. There's a spring shim manufacturer here in south Seattle, I've used in the past. Probably, a lot cheaper than Mancini.

I just noticed I can take the lifters out from between the openings in the heads. If I do do I run the risk of damaging anything?

Also, if I take them out will I be able to tell anything?

I decided to anyway. Here is the very last lifter, drivers side.
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG

Hard to tell from the pictures but the bottom looks concave to me. That's not good.
Bottoms are flat. I checked for concave and irregular wear. Nothing.

I also happened to have the last lifter set still so I compared and they look the same,

I also happened to have the last lifter set still so I compared and they look the same,
So if you put two lifters together with the lobe side touching each other you should be able to see light around the edges and they should wiggle a bit. If they fit together and are flat that's bad news.

one way to check is to lay one lifter sideways on top of an inverted lifter, and look for daylight.
another thing to look for is if the pushrod is spinning while the engine is idling. That's why I made a pair of valve covers with holes in them so I could visually check to ensure that is happening. The pushrod will spin, if the lifter is spinning like it should which is how the flat tappet and cam lobe live.

Then they should be good. The pictures look a bit funny but if the have convex you are golden.
Yeah, I already placed my $18 bet on the rockers rattling together.

I also borrowed a borescope and looked at the came lobe of the two I took off. It looks like how I picture a good lobe to be, consistent markings on one half of the lobe. I will see if I can download the video and get it posted.

Yeah, I already placed my $18 bet on the rockers rattling together.

I also borrowed a borescope and looked at the came lobe of the two I took off. It looks like how I picture a good lobe to be, consistent markings on one half of the lobe. I will see if I can download the video and get it posted.
nice.

Two questions:
1. when I put the lifters back in should I just drop them in or oil them up first? If oil then should I use assembly lube or just regular oil?

2. Just to confirm, the spacers go between the exhaust and intake rockers on each set?
mopar-performance-rocker-arm-spacer-set-25.gif

-
Back