Eddy 1407

-

7dart0

Reaction score
I just cleaned the carb out set floats to manufacture specs. New filter, new pressure regulator, new pressure gauge and she still won't idle. What gives?

I put it in gear in the rpms drop significantly it it almost dies.
Then while I do get it idling in park and things start to get hot my pressure drops to zero. Possibly vapor lock?

Should I just buy a new carburetor?

is your pressure gauge liquid filled and near the engine? When the fluid is getting hot, the gauge does not show the correct pressure...

Regarding Idling: clean the air bleeds on top of the carb, check initial / total timing and close not used vacuum ports...what´s the idle speed?

Michael

Stupid question, is the idle speed screw contacting the throttle arm keeping the butterflies open?

The whole carb was cleaned out with cleaner and compressed air. Timing is good. I do have a liquid filled gauge on the inner fender passenger side next to the alternator.

As for the idle screw it's touching the arm and will move when adjusted. It's been idling around 1300 rpm. The drops to about 500 in gear.

When you put the top back on did you remove the metering rods first? Might pull them out and make sure they aren't bent.

no they arent bent i've been changing them out to try different variations. as well as the springs.

one of the spring sets i used must have been wrong it was tapping against the cover while idiling.

That is the wackiest swing in RPM. Sounds like a tight converter. Had a similar issue with a 625 AFB. Purple 284/.484 cam and a stock converter.

it is a stock converter for a 904 trans. are you thinking i need to change converters?

Is the intake a spreadbore type that requires an adaptor plate? Some of those are very specific as to which gaskets will work and or hold.

Are you running a thick insulator type gasket or just a thin one?

How much initial timing? If advancing helps and it will still start, you may want to re-curve the distributor.
Is this a new install? Just a problem that cropped up? Did you do some other mods before working on the carb?
The base of the carb should be checked with a straight edge to make sure the ears are not bent down any. If they are a body file can true it up pretty quick.

Well I did take the idle mixture screws out to spray some carb cleaner in the ports to see if it came out the other side and it did.
On the other hand the idle mixture screws themselves are not straight they have a wobble when I spin them in my hand.

Would that effect it?

Well I did take the idle mixture screws out to spray some carb cleaner in the ports to see if it came out the other side and it did.
On the other hand the idle mixture screws themselves are not straight they have a wobble when I spin them in my hand.

Would that effect it?

As long as they are restricting the flow it shouldn't be a big issue. Can you tell if they make a difference or not?

i'm also not running any insulator or spacer. i'm kind of wondering if it's to rich i have .113 primary jet and .110 secondary. is this too much for a mild 360?

sorry guys its an unknown cam i have no specs. as far as i know its the stock 360 magnum cam.

EDIT: If you think it's vapor lock, have you tried cracking the gas cap while it's running?

The carb isn't too big, even for a mild 360...might need some fatter rods or smaller jets, but if you tune it correctly, it will give satisfactory performance.

I put smaller jets in it tonight. Also added a 1" phenolic carb spacer. It was to late to fire it up so I'll give it a go tomorrow

I put smaller jets in it tonight. Also added a 1" phenolic carb spacer. It was to late to fire it up so I'll give it a go tomorrow

What size?

For what it's worth, those main and secondary jets have nothing to do with idle metering...

I have the exact same issue with my 1407..... 1200 rpm out of gear low and wants to die in gear..... i have a bigger cam big block with high stall converter 2800 so its not your converter.....

I also have a 1 inch wood spacer.... so you wont be fixing the idle ..... im thinking is a carb issue.... mine was a good ilder till i changed the whole fuel line and moved my elec fuel pump... im thinking both of ours has dirty or something messing with the inide of the carb...

-
Back