Edelbrock 1405 carb way to lean

-

Reaction score
Well got my new 318 up and running with a 600 eddy I had. Well checked the plugs and they are white. Way to lean. I figured as much after driving it some. Just felt starved for fuel. So I am going to get the tune kit for it. Just wondering if some one out there has took the time to really tune one of these to a small block mopar? And if so what jets, and rods etc. did you use? I know every engine is deferent, but it might give me a starting point, as it is no were close now. Thanks!!!

about 9.5 to 9.7 to one compression
273 heads, with 1.88 and 1.60 valves
ported polished, and gasket matched
LD4B intake
comp cam 224 in 230 dur at 50, .477in .480 ex lift
windage tray, deep pan
mopar electronic ignition, at 35' total timing
still has manifolds for now (soon to have Doug's)

The carbs instruction book should outline how to go about tuning the carb. IMO, from here, (Where you stand and IMO/advice) I would know the jet size it came with stock. Then when the jet/rod kit comes in, go 2-3 sizes up. In example, if the jet in the primary is now a .095, I would go to a .097 or .098 (Depends what is in the kit as far as jet sizes are concerned.) Run the engine around , but NOT get into the secondaries) and see how the plugs are after a few minutes of around the block driving.

I have created a matrix for my TQ jets and rods to help get to the next step richer or leaner. The graf is a simple one. Rods across the top, jets down the side, the different measurements at the cross points of the box's lay'd out.

Thanks,
I have to find a book, as I do not have one. I will look on there sight and see if I can find one there. Now that I think about it, I think the jet kit may come with one. I probably made it a little leaner by removing the choke and all the rods that block the air flow. Carb is probably a little small, but there next size up is just to darn big. I may end up running a holley before it is over with. But I like playing with these carter-brocks. LOL

Is your 1405 stock? They are calibrated differently (richer) than the electric choke 1406 which is set up for better fuel economy so interesting your having a lean condition with your specs. Whats your initial timing, what plugs are you using & is your cooling system keeping her at normal operating temps? These Eddy's are easy to tune but make sure it is a carb. issue & not timing, incorrect plugs or cooling system. Here is link to Eddy tuning specs.

[ame]http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf[/ame]

Thanks,
I think it is stock. Was on the car when I bought it. Still has the stock rods so I assume so. Auto-light 63 plugs (I think). I have no idea what the initial timing is, I set total at 35. Every thing else is fine. I know it is lean. It was border line with the almost stock 318. Now with this engine it is just not enough. I have plaid with these for years, well years ago. But I am thinking about switching out to this tricked out Street Avenger. Looks pretty nice. Might work a little better on this engine.

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=1457&val=0

The eddie carbs tend to run real lean out of the box at least that is my experience. I ran an Eddie 650 AVS on my stock 340 when it was in my car and once I jetted that carb up and put bigger excellerator nozzles on it it ran great.

Before you give up on the Carter, try to work through it first. The are a fine street/ high performance carb. At 500 Cfm's, it's enuff for the lil'engine. I would not have removed the choke parts though. Carter's work best slightly undersized rather than oversized.

Thanks,
I ordered the tune kit last night. I figured I would play with it for a while. Yea at 600 cfm it is probably enough for now. Till I build my next "max effort" 318. As for thew choke I always remove them. I never drive my cars when it is cold out, and I have found as you go up in cam size they never seem to work quite right. Two pumps of the petal and she fires right up! I would rather have the increased air flow. Thanks!

Well, OK. It is a minimal increase, but an increase it is.

The carb directions are in a link above, to the Edelbrock site and they are downloadable. So now you can get'er done. :thumbup:

The carb is a bit tuff with larger cams and lower centerline's. This is the draw back of stock carbs. (Replacements included)

You might very well want to contact Bob, AKA Competition Carburetor,
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/member.php?u=25192 who used to work for All State carb since he knows how to modify the Avenger's off idle stumble.

Hay thanks!
Yea I am looking forward to playing with it a little. I even took apart my parts 600 eddy and polished all the casting flash off of the boosters. Something to do. And thanks again for all your help. And thanks for the tip on the Avengers!

No problem. Did you remove the rod in the secondary side?

Yep,
Then I taped the holes and loctited a set screw in each side. Don't want dirty air! LOL

I have a friend that has a milling machine. And I am thinking about taking my spare top cover and milling the choke horn off. Something to try that might help air flow a little. And If it dose not work I can always swap it back.

I'm in the process of screwing around with my AFB's now. I have made 2 of them into double pumpers, yet untested.

One mod at a time....

Well I got board and plaid with my spare carb top. I made a fixture to hold the carb top, and milled off the air horn. Boy what an improvement! I even milled down the center divider. I also fixed the air door issue. Cut off the rod, set the pieces in JB weld, and added a set screw on each side. Should do the trick. Next step is making it duel feed. I have a 5/8 20 tap on the way for that.

I'm in the process of screwing around with my AFB's now. I have made 2 of them into double pumpers, yet untested.

One mod at a time....

Attachments

• rt.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 803
  • cdfgh.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 730
  • 00.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 748
Nice. Just a little rounding and smoothing....what's next? I gotta bust out my camera....

Anybody know the diameter of the butterflies of a 500 AFB/Edelbrock?

Well here it is all done and on the car. Boy what a deference! I went 4% richer on the secondaries, and up 8% richer on the primaries. And boy dose it seem happy! It acts like a totally deferent engine.

And boy was it hard to machine it for the duel feed line!

forgot the pic

Attachments

• carbon1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,250
  • carbon2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 890
A sneak preview shot of yet a unfinished mod.......

Attachments

• AFB DP Mod 024.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 713
It's easy enuff, though, I do not recommend a drill press for the drilling through the body. IF you know a machinist that has or someone that has a Bridgeport.........

When I'm done, in which I'm 99% there, I'll do a thread on the mod.

It's easy enuff, though, I do not recommend a drill press for the drilling through the body. IF you know a machinist that has or someone that has a Bridgeport.........

When I'm done, in which I'm 99% there, I'll do a thread on the mod.

are you shaving down the air horn as well rumble? a play by play thread would be excellent stuff. i have a couple of these carbs i have been wanting to modify but i dont have the info im needing. looking forward to a thread on this....

-
Back