Edelbrock 1460 Carb 1st Test Flight Noise??

-

ABodyBetty

Reaction score
Hi everyone my husband is working on my 1967 Dodge Dart with 1970 318. We just put on a new 1460 Edelbrock carb. We took on the first test drive and it has a fan type of jet engine noise under moderate to heavy load. Under heavy load add to the jet noise a high pitch whistle 50 to 70 mph. Flat and level it plains out at 70 and everything gets quiet again. Is this normal for this 600 carb to make all that noise? Please help me if you can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend. 8)

It is possible to get the 'whistle' from:

1)worn throttle shaft bore; the bore in the base plate will elongate the amount of degrees that the throttle lever travels from an idle position to wide open throttle position,

2) the base gasket; this carb base to intake gasket can cause a whistle when gas saturates it and the vacuum in the intake causes the saturated gasket to distort temporarily. Also the style of base gasket can also cause the whistle. For example, if your base gasket is a four hole and it does not match the mounting surface of the intake, it will happen. Stacking multiple base gaskets may be causing this,
3)and badly worn or damaged primary boosters also.

With the loud sound at an idle, I would suspect the base gasket as being the problem, David.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all your ports and make sure you plugged off anything not being used. PCV hooked up, brakes, vacuum advance? Also check that you have the rear port blocked with the cap included with the carb. If I remember correctly it does not come pre-installed. Easy to forget if you are anxious to get it on and double check everything upfront but forget about it out back. It would make a very audible sound at idle though...let us know what it is!

-
Back