Edelbrock Carb Spacer?

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm installing a 600cfm edelbrock today but ran into something fishy....
When I removed the old carb, it appeared that the gasket/spacer are blocking the ports to the intake...do I need a different spacer or gasket? What's the deal? Furthermore, is this a legitimate spacer that is there already? It looks like it's made out of particle board!!! lol You can clearly see how the gasket overlaps over the intake ports.
Oh, and I tried the carb w/o the spacer but it is needed for fuel line clearance.
Thanks!!

IMG00001-20100608-1735.jpg

IMG00002-20100609-1728.jpg

IMG00003-20100609-1728.jpg

IMG00004-20100609-1729.jpg

The new carb should come with all the gaskets you need. Keep the phenolic (wood) spacer, it works great for any heat issues.

Right, it came with square gaskets.
However, I don't understand why it has a wood block spacer and gasket that block the intake? Should I trim them to the intake?

keep the spacer... the intake is really for a spreadbore carb and you have a squarebore carb. If the spacer is flaking a bit, you can get a metal adapter place for about $10 at the local auto parts store and then use one of the black plastic spacers that came with the carb to keep the gas from percolating in the carb.

Ok, but is the overlapping spacer and gasket restricting the performance?

as long as it doesn't interfere with the butterfly's on the carb it will be fine

WOW! New guy alert. Welcome to the board, LOL and the performance world of nothing exactly the way you thought it would be.

You're right, I would think precision and the shape/size of the spacer would affect performance; however I suppose not. Meanwhile, a small tweak in the internals of an engine or other minuscule adjustment elsewhere could prove for disaster.... I admit, the spacer IS weird.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Turn the carb upside down and lay the spacer on the bottom. Does it block any of the carb barrels? I doubt it does. The spacer does not restrict airflow any more than the carb does. As stated above your Performer intake will accept either a square or spreadbore carb.

Also, if you look at the picture of the gasket that was between the spacer and the manifold, it appears that it was sealing well. I'd run it just the way it was.

FYI Phenolic is a resin product, not wood. It has a high rate of thermal absorption.(reduces percolation) The same material, dyed black, was used to make the bowls for thermoquad Carbs.

-
Back