Edelbrock heads seals

-

themoparman73

Reaction score
Hello mopar family

I had my engine rebuilt (short block 318) and I bought my friends new edelbrock heads that he had stored for 20 years in the original boxes. Well I got the engine going and drove It 500 plus miles and the engine is still smoking. I did change the oil with new break oil and still the same. So I believe that the seals are bad because they sat for 20 years. So I got the new seals but the ones the heads look different. How do these come off. Sorry first time doing this.

20221119_135146.jpg

20221119_135233.jpg

I hate those white plastic seals and I hear they will wear the valves out. I pull them off and trash them. Here’s a picture of the proper tool and one I used for years. Carefully use two big screwdrivers to pry them off.

6FC26D2D-6137-49C0-AE66-B83303810461.jpeg

D89EFE3C-9FEB-495B-A216-77B06E18F34D.jpeg

Depending on your ring composition, some, like moly, you have to take her and flog her to seat them... I've heard of people using " huff and puff on bikes... blowing Dutch maid cleaner in the carb. Old motorcycle trick the Dutch use

Looks shot! That will do it. I've had em where they smoked on Startup only, but I imagine if they're that bad they'll let oil in there all the time...

Clean everything up and soak the new ones in oil for a little bit and they should slide right on. Make sure they bottom out.

Ohhh and if you take the shims off during cleanup make sure you put them back on BEFORE you put the seals on. Lol

Just asking, will that style of seal clear/ fit the inside diameter of the valve spring being used?
1668897742966.png

The white seals are Teflon.
The heads didn’t leave the Edelbrock facility with those.
(Let’s call it “extremely unlikely”)

They were pretty commonly used 20+ years ago when installing dual springs, since they have a smaller OD, and provide more clearance.

Nowadays, the popular seals are the ones PBR showed.
They also provide good clearance to the springs, and seem to hold up much better than the Teflon ones.

If they fit with adequate clearance to the springs, the “ring and band” style that come on the Ede heads(like what you bought) have always worked well for me.

Last edited:
-
Back