edelbrock metering rod sizes

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I am running the edelbrock performer 600cfm manual choke carburetor, i need to figure out wich metering rod is the next step richer from the 7047 metering rods that come in the 1405 edelbrock 600cfm manual choke carburetor. I am running the 7047 metering rods with the silver step up springs and it has just a slight hesitation, i also have the accelerator pump linkage hooked to the richet setting. Im thinking if i ran the next richest rod up from the 7047 rod that it would cure it. I'm thinking the 7042 metering rod is the next step richer from the 7047 but not 100 percent sure, so thought i'd ask you guys.

7047 is .070 idle....047 power

7042 is .070 idle....040 power....which would be richer..

So the 7042 metering rods would be worth trying to get rid of the tiny hesitaton i have? that looked to be the next size up from the 7047's to me.

and dont you mean it would be 70 idle and 42 power? because the rods i am looking at running say 7042 and the rods i have currently say 7047, so the 7042's are a tad bit richer then the 7047's on the power side correct? cause the slight hesitation i am feeling is happening right off of an idle or a steady spped, say im going down the road at a steady speed of 30 miles an hour and i go to step on it i'll feel a very slight hesitation same with off an idle. So i'm hoping these 7042's will clear some of this up because its not a bad hesitaton at all.

So running the 7042's over the 7047's seemed to make a difference with the off idle stumble. like i said it was a very slight off idle stumble and switching to the 7042's helped it out.

Couple Points.
Get the Ede book for your carb. I think you can actually go to Edelbrocks website and download it. And a slight bog doesn't always mean you need to go richer. I've gone the other way on the primaries (leaner) on a 500cfm /6 car,and it improved performance.

I already have the edelbrock carburetor owners manual and i also have 2 books on how to modify and re-build carter/edelbrock carburetors.

Edelbrock also sells bigger accellerator pump nozzles:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1475/

I used to run a 650 AVS eddie with my stock 340 and put bigger nozzles on to get rid of off idle hesitation. I also had to run bigger primary and secondary jets. I had the heat blocked off on my intake running a 180 thermostat and no heat riser in exhaust manifold. Engine ran at 180. Once I got carb set up it ran excellent. Those eddie carbs are super super lean out of the box.

Make sure you have enough initial timing, at least 13, or you will never get rid of hesitation. Make sure the transfer slots are not over exposed or you will never get rid of off idle hesitation.

Like said above the owners manual should tell you what jet/rod combo to run to get it richer in any one area of the power band. Some times just switch rods won't do it.

-
Back