Edelbrock or T-Quad

-
one of my friends has a edelbrock 750 on his old dodge 360 pickup

Hey guys, I thought I would add my 2 cents. We have a car (jensen interceptor) 1974, garaged for 30 years, 22k orig miles. Point is, it came factory with a 440 w TQ. The existing carb was totally f-ed. did a majior tune up including all filters, carter hp fuel pump, chrome ecu. new headers and full 2.5 inch exhaust. Performer intake. . The TQ was still fubared!. Flooding, starting issues, lean, rich unpredictable and unreliable in any stop and go trafffic. Pouring gas every direction. I have had 4 or 5 TQs that were quite good on automatics and 4 speed cars and I wanted badly to keep the TQ. I took it appart 5 times making minor adjustments to float level, replacing some parts. Finally I bought a reman TQ for that year 440 from summit which was branded a "holley reman" about350$+, when that thing arrived, it looked like it was dropped off a truck at 30 mph on a gravel road. I did what I could to help it, changing a few parts off the old carb. (external levers and rods mostly) Put the reman on the car, almost the same problems. I have a good amount of experience dinking with TQs over the years, and I just got completely sick of this one. Returned it to summit and we bought an Edelbrock Thunder EVS. 800cfm. Electric choke. About 400$. Seriously bolted it on and it started up perfectly, and idled almost perfectly. Mild air screw adjustments and havent touched it since. Throttle response was crisp. 4 Barrel performance was fantastic. Since the car is a "touring" car, we were not concerned about a 5 hp difference here or there as much as overall usability, ease of starting and reliability. I think that Edelbrock EVS is a good one for a high performance street car.

Thermoquad all the way,I will never have another eddy.

In my opinion, it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Nearly any carb (that is mechanically sound and sized appropriately for engine needs) works well if you put in the time for understanding how it works and tuning it.

Well it looks like it's pretty much split right down the middle. I don't know guys, I am tempted on switching to an Edelbrock 650cfm on my 318 since this supposedly rebuilt T-Quad I bought is giving me all kinds of headaches.

T-quads need to be set up precisely. There are many items to look at even before tuning begins.

Well it looks like it's pretty much split right down the middle. I don't know guys, I am tempted on switching to an Edelbrock 650cfm on my 318 since this supposedly rebuilt T-Quad I bought is giving me all kinds of headaches.

You mentioned a 360 and a 318.
Which engine is it going on ?

I would run a 600 Eddy on a mildly built 318. Works great.
On my mildly built 360 I run a 750 Eddy. Works great.

Just buy the eddy 600....make sure you get the throttle bracket kit that they don;t tell you about part # 1481..... bolt it on turn the screws 1 1/2 out and adjust with a vac gage...and go cruising......

T-quads need to be set up precisely. There are many items to look at even before tuning begins.

Yes I'm starting to realize that as I gain experience with the T-Quad. I'm beginning to doubt it's capabilities in terms of being a daily driver street carb.

You mentioned a 360 and a 318.
Which engine is it going on ?

I would run a 600 Eddy on a mildly built 318. Works great.
On my mildly built 360 I run a 750 Eddy. Works great.

Right now I have a T-Quad on my 74 Dart with a mild 318. The issue is frustration mostly. It just seems like no matter what I do this carb along with the past T-Quad I had never ran correctly. I'm really thinking of going Edelbrock 600 as you stated. However, could it bolt onto a stock four barrel intake?

There is nothing like opening up the secondaries on a Thermo-bog. They can be an awesome carb BUT they are finiky as all hell. If you got a good one use it until it gives you probs. If/when it does start acting up, run for the Eddy! TQ'S are very complex to rebuild and also tend to warp causing rebuild issues. I have rebuilt Eddys, Holleys, Stomburg.... never had a bit of luck rebuilding a TQ.

ive had more problems with eddys than anything else.not saying they are bad carbs,but they are not my first choice.a properly set up tq is great in,but takes some work to get it set up right.why not try a holley? jmo.

ive had more problems with eddys than anything else.not saying they are bad carbs,but they are not my first choice.a properly set up tq is great in,but takes some work to get it set up right.why not try a holley? jmo.

problems with eddy;s like what problems ??????? I have had several and I mean several..... Don't judge them on getting a junk used one

Bear in mind that the newest TQ is about 30 years old, and almost all were installed on smog motors. That said, a good one is a great carb (Q-jets same way), BUT a piece of junk will give you no end of frustration. I've had my fill of used carbs. It's your money, but I'd suggest a new carb.

Right now I have a T-Quad on my 74 Dart with a mild 318. The issue is frustration mostly. It just seems like no matter what I do this carb along with the past T-Quad I had never ran correctly. I'm really thinking of going Edelbrock 600 as you stated. However, could it bolt onto a stock four barrel intake?

The Eddie AVS will bolt on to a square or spread bore.. We have one on a Performer for a 440, they are spread bore, no adapter plate.
I dont think people have mentioned this in this thread.
Is your remaining system solid? Electronic ignition, distributor, cap rotor plug wires plugs, coil, voltages at coil and ecm during operating conditions?

If you could find a properly tuned TQ they are pretty awesome and will work on a variety of size motors. In my perfect world I would have a TQ on my car and it would flow like 1000 cfm :-D

Anyway, if you simply want to bolt on a carb and not worry too much at all about working on it... ever, the Edelbrock AVS is the way to go.

My friend had a 650 edelbrock performer AFB carb. It seemed to be out of wack all the time, may have been operator error. Prob needed set up correctly. But I hated it when I bought his truck and switched back to a TQ that was in good shape.. AFB stands for Air Fire Backwards... :-D
Naw, some of thees fellows have some good stories about the Eddy afb as well..

I would select a carb that will suit you for a while towards the future, say, if you were going to build a mild 360 soon, then buy a carb that would work with the 318 and the 360 as well. Like a 650cfm or such.. With electric choke! That works perfectly on those carbs after a two minute adjustment.

Back a few (decades), I made the mistake of not planning for the future and purchased used carb a 600 carter (guaranteed to run great) for my 350 olds (and it did) the ( thecarb which I replaced on that engine was a quadrajet that poured gas out everywhere, shot fire out all orfices of my engine constantly and was setting fire to my car everytime I turned it off)..
So, shortly after that, I started running 455 olds motors constantly. I didn't have money to upgrade to the 750-800 cfm that I needed. I was poor as dirt, and the 455s were basically free back then.
So I ran them with my 600 carter.
So plan ahead if you buy a new carb.. I am not saying buy a 850 double pumper for your 318 because you may have a race engine 5 years from now, but just get a carb that will hold you for a little while.

Someone on this site recently mentioned these guys, I believe they will rebuild your TQ and or maybe set it up for you...

http://www.thermoquads.com/

May be an alternative to buying a new carb? Cost less? (not much) Halfway down the page the pricing starts.

I personally would only risk buying or investing in a modified TQ if I had extra money to try it, more for nostalgic reasons.

problems with eddy;s like what problems ??????? I have had several and I mean several..... Don't judge them on getting a junk used one
ive had a few as well....like i said im not saying they are junk,just not my first choice.the main problems ive had have been float related,stalling on braking ,flooding,cut out on cornering,and idle passage issues ,etc.some people may have had nothing but good results with them and bad results with tqs or holleys.run what you like,they all do the job when working correctly. myself , i like the eddy less than the others.

ive had a few as well....like i said im not saying they are junk,just not my first choice.the main problems ive had have been float related,stalling on braking ,flooding,cut out on cornering,and idle passage issues ,etc.some people may have had nothing but good results with them and bad results with tqs or holleys.run what you like,they all do the job when working correctly. myself , i like the eddy less than the others.

good point good point.....

Bear in mind that the newest TQ is about 30 years old, and almost all were installed on smog motors. That said, a good one is a great carb (Q-jets same way), BUT a piece of junk will give you no end of frustration. I've had my fill of used carbs. It's your money, but I'd suggest a new carb.

Well my present one is my third and it's proving to be impossible. So far I haven't met a T-Quad I liked. Either way brand spanking new sounds good.

I have heard they used to have incorrectly adjusted floats out of the box. Maybe fixed that problem. The issues you describe would point to too high float settings. I have 2 600's on my tunnel ram, and a 600 Carter on my 273. All work excellent.
I do like Thermoquads (non-lean burn type), I ran one on my 360 in a 69 Fury for a while. I don't drive the car anymore, been 8 years, it still fires right up every time.
But if I was to put a single four bbl on my 440 in place of the tunnel ram, it would be the 800 Holley dp that i have used on a 440 in the past.

I guess I haven't met a carburetor I didn't like.

Just depends on the carb condition, tuning ability, and application/size for the engine.

The Eddie AVS will bolt on to a square or spread bore.. We have one on a Performer for a 440, they are spread bore, no adapter plate.
I dont think people have mentioned this in this thread.
Is your remaining system solid? Electronic ignition, distributor, cap rotor plug wires plugs, coil, voltages at coil and ecm during operating conditions?

If you could find a properly tuned TQ they are pretty awesome and will work on a variety of size motors. In my perfect world I would have a TQ on my car and it would flow like 1000 cfm :-D

Anyway, if you simply want to bolt on a carb and not worry too much at all about working on it... ever, the Edelbrock AVS is the way to go.

My friend had a 650 edelbrock performer AFB carb. It seemed to be out of wack all the time, may have been operator error. Prob needed set up correctly. But I hated it when I bought his truck and switched back to a TQ that was in good shape.. AFB stands for Air Fire Backwards... :-D
Naw, some of thees fellows have some good stories about the Eddy afb as well..

I would select a carb that will suit you for a while towards the future, say, if you were going to build a mild 360 soon, then buy a carb that would work with the 318 and the 360 as well. Like a 650cfm or such.. With electric choke! That works perfectly on those carbs after a two minute adjustment.

Back a few (decades), I made the mistake of not planning for the future and purchased used carb a 600 carter (guaranteed to run great) for my 350 olds (and it did) the ( thecarb which I replaced on that engine was a quadrajet that poured gas out everywhere, shot fire out all orfices of my engine constantly and was setting fire to my car everytime I turned it off)..
So, shortly after that, I started running 455 olds motors constantly. I didn't have money to upgrade to the 750-800 cfm that I needed. I was poor as dirt, and the 455s were basically free back then.
So I ran them with my 600 carter.
So plan ahead if you buy a new carb.. I am not saying buy a 850 double pumper for your 318 because you may have a race engine 5 years from now, but just get a carb that will hold you for a little while.

Someone on this site recently mentioned these guys, I believe they will rebuild your TQ and or maybe set it up for you...

http://www.thermoquads.com/

May be an alternative to buying a new carb? Cost less? (not much) Halfway down the page the pricing starts.

I personally would only risk buying or investing in a modified TQ if I had extra money to try it, more for nostalgic reasons.

Is the Edelbrock AVS Thunder the carb you speak of? I was really thinking about buying one some time ago. This car is going to remain with the stock 1974 318 ignition, mild cam, manifolds, etc..... I'm not interested in shaving .005 off of my quarter mile since this is going to be strictly a street car. I just want a smooth running four barrel that will give me some fun from time to time.

Holley 750 4150 double pumper.(mechanical)
They are so easy to work on.

Is the Edelbrock AVS Thunder the carb you speak of? I was really thinking about buying one some time ago. This car is going to remain with the stock 1974 318 ignition, mild cam, manifolds, etc..... I'm not interested in shaving .005 off of my quarter mile since this is going to be strictly a street car. I just want a smooth running four barrel that will give me some fun from time to time.

HI, yes the Edelbrock avs Thunder is what I was talking about. I think its a newer release than the Edelbrock AFB Performer. I would slso see what people are saying about the AFB version as well. I have not studied the differences in functionality but according to edelbrock the Thunder is an enhancement over the Performer..
It may be hype, I believe it because I like hype about car parts...if it makes reasonable sense..

Towards the center of page is a summary of the Thunder series.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/carbs_access_main.shtml

Here is a short summary of AFB and AVS functionality and a little history..
mentions that an AVS is a refinement of AFB and sites the AVS as like a Dodge version..? Heck yea Dodge..

http://partschoice.com/carbs/tech/Carter/AFB-AVS-index.html

The 800 AVS seems to be a great carb from what others have said, even on other boards, they are WAY better then the dreaded 750 AFB eddy, what ever issues the 750 had, they corrected it with the Thunder series AVSs, I had a good TQ on a mild 440, it in deed was a "monster" WOT, it had its leak around the throttle shaft when shut down, Demonsizzler is the guy when it comes to these TQs, he's about the best (if not only) guy that you'll find messing with them & knows them very well, he gave me pointers on mine, it worked great, the only issue i had was keeping the rear air door dialed in, that can be a pain, not that it was horrible, just finiky.

-
Back