Edelbrock performer not performing

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
It's probably my fault, I like to ruin my car and then complain about it. I took the carb off Sunday to give it a thorough cleaning inside and out and for some reason when I put it back on it didn't want to idle at the proper RPM. I don't have a tach and I'm terrible at guessing on RPM, but it was significantly faster than when I took it off. I traced it to the linkage that engages the secondaries, for some reason they were rubbing where they hadn't before, so I bent it a bit for clearance (milimeters).

But that wasn't the problem. It did help when I clearanced the pieces, but it's still far above normal idle. I checked the butterflies to be sure they were closing properly and I think they are (I took them off to clean them too, but I'm positive they're back on right because I did one at a time to prevent screwing them up). It's also not the idle speed screw, the throttle linkage isn't even resting on it at idle.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what got messed up and how it did. If anyone has any advice (other than buying a new carb) I would really appreciate it.

Sounds like maybe a vacuum (spelling?) leak somewhere ? Are all the extra holes still plugged up in the carb, did you use a new gasket when you put the carb back on ? That would be where i would start looking.
11010179uu.jpg

My secret as to why a stock 383 runs so good, and the larger valves!

We used to say of a friend of mine that no one can slow down a record holding car like him. :D Anyway, you shouldn't take the butterflies out when you rebuild or clean a carb. First the screws are bradded over so the don't vibrate out and fall into your engine. Secondly because even if the blades are a little out of place they don't close right. My guess is the blades are out of place now.

you shouldn't take the butterflies out when you rebuild or clean a carb.

Yeah I found that valuable piece of information last night when I was browsing tech articles. I should really research these things before I jump into them :eek:ops: Thanks. I guess I'll have to pull it off again and do a little more adjusting of the butterflies to see if that helps. :banghead:

There are no air leaks that I can find, everything is properly capped, hosed, and gasketed. I hate when I do things like this.

SGGDuster said:
It's also not the idle speed screw, the throttle linkage isn't even resting on it at idle.

how about the possibility that your returnspirngs dont hold the throtle linkage back?
is the wire conected in the same place?
the throtle linkage should rest att the idle speed screw at idle!

I would bet that its in the throtle plates, loosen them and snap the throttle shut a few times and then shine a light thru them and look to see if the are centered as well as possible
Also on alot of throttle plates there is a top and bottom... they bevel the thin edge so they will close better ...check to make sure one isn't flipped over

Just on a whim, put the tube on your WD-40 can and spray around the base gasket of the carb. If there is a vacuum leak, the RPM's will go up some more. This is an old trick that I learned and it may be what's going on with the carb as well as the butterfly issue.
Good luck!!
Dart 440 4spd

Did you undo the throttle cable where it's bolted to the manifold? If so, it has to be put back where it was, or adjust it so the linkage can move fully forward when it mates up with carb linkage.

Does it have an automatic choke? If so, it should be set 2 notches rich, (to the right).

Is your high speed cam allowing the choke plate to open fullly and not touch the cam at all once warmed up? If so, It needs adjusting also.

If all the linkage was OK before, you shouldn't have to bend any to adjust them. They should all be somewhat sloppy so nothing binds.

These settings have to all work together for it to work properly.

I recently went thru all this with my Carter. It starts and idles like a new car now.

-
Back