Edelbrock performer VS. Performer EGR intakes

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an Edelbrock performer and a buddy of mine wants to trade me his performer EGR intake. I will be using it on my Ramcharger. Besides the obvious difference, do I need to do anything to the EGR intake? Meaning do I need the floor jets off my stock 2bbl intake, or can I just bolt it on, add the EGR valve and go?
I was going to put a cast iron spreadbore intake on it but i don't want to limit myself with that spreadbore only carb.
Thanks, Paul

The performer EGR I looked did not have an interchangeable EGR opening in the plenum, it looked a little like a Venturi. Edelbrock’s installation notes don’t mention anything about the EGR, other than showing a picture of the intake. I would imagine it would rely on the interchangeable seat in the EGR valve to accurately meter the volume of exhaust gas fed into plenum.

What I have noticed? Well. The egr valve itself will meter the amount of gas since it is smaller in size to the intakes 2 holes in the floor or jet sizes.

The valve closes under WOT and partially under part throttle. Full open at cruise.

I really don’t see a difference in part throttle or WOT performance between the two intakes.
t cruise, the inert gas could be advantageous.

Is there emissions testing in your area? Just wondering, as I would not want an EGR valve.......unless for emission testing, OR if my engine was BONE STOCK.

I wouldn’t trade a non egr valve intake for a egr intake. If I had an egr intake, just install the egr valve and leave the vacuum hose off if your worried about it. Since the vacuum line is off, it doesn’t work. AKA, stays closed. No egr for the engine.

Thanks! Yeah, I do have emissions on the Ramcharger, and was my thoughts on keeping the EGR. It's stock except for duals and an HEI distributor. I shouldn't have any issues passing emissions again. I bought a eddy 1406 to put on top the performer and hope to squeeze a little more mpg's out of her. Maybe sometime next month I'll actually be able to find the time do the swap.

I had very good luck with a similar swap a long time ago when NY state decided to put our cars on a dyno roller to insure that it was passing emissions at speed at everything was operating correctly.

WHAT A DRAG!

Anyway.....

On a stock ‘79 360, I used a OE 4bbl. (Working EGR valve) W/a Federal Mougal 625 Emissions carb, dual exhaust w/twin cats. An orange box for ignition. Charcoal canister hooked up, etc...

She passed and passed very well. The guy was very surprised.

-
Back