Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on this intake. I am thinking of putting it on my 1967 barracuda vert. I am running a 1968 340 in it with the x heads. Motor is built for street with a few upgrades to heads. TTI headers,2.5 dual exhaust with flowmasters and xpipe. Probably left some important things out just trying to get feedback. Does anyone know if stock air cleaner will clear?

DO you know if my stock air cleaner will clear. I got a concussion and have not been able to measure it. Figure I could order some parts with down time.

I used my stock air cleaner top with a 3/4" drop style bottom. (69 Dart hood clearance probably pretty close to yours). BTW great intake!!

The stock 340 air cleaner will just barely rub on the hood. If you can find an air filter that is 1/4"-1/2" thinner, the lid will sit lower and it will work. Just be VERY CAREFUL that the air cleaner stud coming out of the carb is as short as possible or you will harpoon the hood...

I believe the RPM air gap sits 5/8" inches higher than stock manifold. Clearances are real close and not all engines sit at the exact same height. You can always use a chunk of modeling clay on top of carb before you put air cleaner or stem on to determine exact clearance.

Great idea with the clay Moparlvr. I am running a old Elderbrock torker and the single plane isnt right for my setup but was for the wallet at the time.Probably just sell it.

I thought the RPM AIR-GAP and the Performer RPM (no air gap) were the same height. I will have to call tomorrow. I never thought about the cold but considering where I live good tip.

If your going to be driving it in the winter then I would say yah you might have some cold issues but so far I have not had any and it gets pretty darn cold up here(I don't drive it in the winter). I think your right both manifolds according to eddie site are the same height.

I used Play-doh the other day to measure if I could put a 5" filter on the Dart running a LD340. From the top of the AC with moroso drop base & 3" filter, I had about 2"

I'm going to guess an air gap won't have an issue if using a drop base

Here's some manifold heights from various small block intakes

A is the front measurement B is the rear measurement

1971 Stock Themoquad 340 cast iron manifold A 4.0625" B 5.1875"
Edelbrock LD340 A 4.625" B 5.625"
Edelbrock Performer A 4.130" B 5.130"
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap A 4.900" B 5.800"
Edelbrock Performer RPM A 4.900" B 5.800"
Edelbrock Torker 2 A 5.250" B 6.190"
Edelbrock Victor 340 A 4.150" B 5.700"

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if stock aircleaner will clear.
Running the airgap..I believe the stock unsilenced air cleaner will hit underneath the hood if you still have the padding attached. Mine did.

The RPM non airgap..air cleaner will fit with about 1/8 in to spare. Just block off the heat exchange cross over if you choose to use this intake..unless you drive it in the winter.

It also depends if you are running a spacer, an adaptor, and carburator. Also..make sure that air cleaner screw is cut down low as it can go.

I thought those intakes are the same height?

-
Back