Edelbrock, speemaster or promaxx heads

-
The rockers are designed for pushrod oiling to work with a magnum block. If you're running an LA block I don't think the rocker issue is a big deal.
Oh that’s good to know. Agreed on the LA rocker issue. I haven’t looked at these heads to hard or deep. I’m in deep enough with what I got.
2 sets each of W2’s, W5’s and Edelbrock’s.
1 ProMaxx.

I’ve got plenty! LOL!

It’ll be a set of TF’s for my low deck street bound strokers. 1 - 6 pack, 1 - race TQ.
CID - TBD - No time frame, just parts collecting.

NOt everyone can afford the latest greatest stuff my man. I would rather get my car running and drive it and have fun, then go out to my garage and see a car on stands not running for years on end.
Trickflow head studs. - Trick Flow Specialties TFS-61404304 bit more than 80 bucks I would say.
For me specifically, I would have to run the special Harland sharp rockers since I have a magnum block. another $867 on top of the $2200 and $200 studs. If I was rolling in dough I would get it all in a heartbeat. In fact.. my first comment even said I might just have to save up for a set of trickflows.
Also, the OP didn't mention in the first post how the car would be abused, he wanted a real world opinion. He got a real world opinion.

They make head bolts too, like i said earlier. They are 80 bucks. Anything under 13 to 1 N/A i would use those,( bolts)and have on such motors
Another option is just run stockish heads to “ get it running” then get the better heads that will give you more upside, and probably be worth more if you ever had to off them.

Oh that’s good to know. Agreed on the LA rocker issue. I haven’t looked at these heads to hard or deep. I’m in deep enough with what I got.
2 sets each of W2’s, W5’s and Edelbrock’s.
1 ProMaxx.

I’ve got plenty! LOL!

It’ll be a set of TF’s for my low deck street bound strokers. 1 - 6 pack, 1 - race TQ.
CID - TBD - No time frame, just parts collecting.

Do you have a car you race?

Do you have a car you race?
(Re) Working on a pair. 1 - A, 1 - B body.
Physical injuries have me down, but not out. Been outta work a bit. Working on the wife’s car now at a snails pace. It’s all I can currently do. I can’t stand for about 30 minutes or so. It has taken me 2 days to get her heads off.

It’s been good therapy but annoying at the same time. What used to take a day takes weeks.

(Re) Working on a pair. 1 - A, 1 - B body.
Physical injuries have me down, but not out. Been outta work a bit. Working on the wife’s car now at a snails pace. It’s all I can currently do. I can’t stand for about 30 minutes or so. It has taken me 2 days to get her heads off.

It’s been good therapy but annoying at the same time. What used to take a day takes weeks.

Sorry man. Hope you get healed up. I have put off my upcoming hip replacement so long its done damage to my getting things done too. Wanted to put a trick flow top end on a 418 forged flat top shortblock i have sitting around in my car for this season, but will have to wait for next year.
In the meantime will race what i have till surgery on 27 August.

I’m a little surprised at the confusion about the rocker situation with the TF heads.

If you have rockers that can be pushrod oiled.......you can use them on the TF heads...... on either a LA or Magnum block.
If you have a magnum block......you must use rockers that pushrod oil.
There are a few rockers out there that can be pushrod oiled, and they can be used with those heads on a magnum block.
However........ that’s no different than any other LA head.

As far as I can tell, the only thing new with the TF heads running the HS rockers for pushrod oiling is........ the HS rockers that can be used with pushrod oiling.

If you have old school rockers like the ductile pieces, MP or Crane aluminum rockers, the Mancini rockers....... those can’t be used as pushrod oiled.

The Comp Ultra Pros on the other hand can use the LA style oiling or be pushrod oiled........ so they could be used with either style block........ with any head they fit on.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I’ll PM ya later....

Sorry man. Hope you get healed up. I have put off my upcoming hip replacement so long its done damage to my getting things done too. Wanted to put a trick flow top end on a 418 forged flat top shortblock i have sitting around in my car for this season, but will have to wait for next year.
In the meantime will race what i have till surgery on 27 August.

Thanks man. I’ll PM ya later....
I have been looking at the Speed master bare heads 281-1654 and their CNC version 281-1656
Speed master says they are oil through the pushrod
so how do you run them on a LA block. one guy their said they can do both oil through the head and push rod. I don't know what true, anyone know?

Flat tappet lifter from AMC motor and new pushrods and appropriate rockers?

I also wouldn't 100% trust the description on the website, especially if the head accepts an LA intake.

I have been looking at the Speed master bare heads 281-1654 and their CNC version 281-1656
Speed master says they are oil through the pushrod
so how do you run them on a LA block. one guy their said they can do both oil through the head and push rod. I don't know what true, anyone know?

I don't know about what speed master says but before I paid anything for those heads I'd buy the Trick Flow heads.

They are the better deal.

Flat tappet lifter from AMC motor and new pushrods and appropriate rockers?

I also wouldn't 100% trust the description on the website, especially if the head accepts an LA intake.
Thanks for help I already have roller lifters and Harland Sharp rockers, so do the Trick flow heads accept standard rockers and shafts?

B3 kit with that combination or did TF move the shafts
If I had shafts I would not just oil through the pushrods
depending on your spring pressure and how radical your cam is you need to match the roller bushing (or not)with the shaft - chrome or heat treated
and if you oil through the shaft- no matter how you get oil between the roller fulcrum center and the shaft what about banana groves?

B3 kit with that combination or did TF move the shafts
If I had shafts I would not just oil through the pushrods
depending on your spring pressure and how radical your cam is you need to match the roller bushing (or not)with the shaft - chrome or heat treated
and if you oil through the shaft- no matter how you get oil between the roller fulcrum center and the shaft what about banana groves?
I will have to look at the shafts I bought the Harlan Sharp rockers with the shaft and hold downs together not sure if they are banana groved.
I don't have the spring specs with me I'll follow up on that.
Bob

If you bought the shafts and rockers together you can easily (ahem) find out if they were designed to be shaft oiled or pushrod oiled
as I have been saying- I'd do both
you need oil to cool the springs and I do not think you can do the shafts, roller tips and springs too
prove me wrong
then oil both anyway
NO SMOKING (parts that is)

-
Back