Edelbrock Streetmaster 318 vs regular performer

-

LeeinRI

Reaction score
Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you have replaced an old streetmaster 318 intake with a perfomer manifold? If so, was there any improvement in performance? I am very happy with this old streetmaster relic but I am curious if there is any more power to be had out of this little 318. Even with 2.94 gears this car puts you in your seat first and second gear! It is a stock 76' motor with 8k original miles. The only mods are a comp xe268 cam, 340 springs and 1-5/8" headers. This is actually in my factory 4 speed 76' Aspen coupe with 8,091 original miles.

You may want to consider a LD4B. They seem to work well with the 268 cams. 3.23's or 3.55's would wake that teen right up.

It puts you in the seat in 1st and second because of the low gear ratios of the factory 4 speed overdrive. It has a 3.09 first gear. It would pull off strong with a briggs and stratton.

I understand that first gear is lower than a standard A833. But, with only a 2.94 axle that 3.09 first makes the car launch like it has a 3.55 rear axle. The 64-65 A-bodies equipped with the A833 and a 273 used the same 3.09 first gear as my OD unit, but my second is actually a higher ratio than the 64-65 273 A833 trans had. So realistically the low first is really not that low because of my high rear axle ratio and when shifting to second gear "1.67" it's a very wide ratio! The LD4B/Weiand action plus would be my first choice but I don't have one in stock. I am just asking to see if you guys have had any experience in swapping between the streetmaster and performer. I also have a real cool looking vintage "Offy"! Thanks guys!

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8492.JPG

-
Back