edelbrock troubles

-

MoParMetal

MoPar
Reaction score
the primaries are filling up with way too much gas. is it possible that i set the float bowls too high? if i can't figure this out soon im going to break down and just get another damn carburetor. this carburetor is taking way too much time away from working on the Charger.

its a 600cfm electric choke. its on a 318 in the Duster.
anyone in san diego know these damn eddys?

I've heard nothing but trouble with these edelbrock carbs. Was it new? Does it have sights on the bowls?

Buy a Holley and sell this on one eBay!

z

im thinking about getting a small demon instead...I just need to the car to run for a little while longer. i only need a couple of more things before the 383 swap.

set float level at 7/16" and float drop at 15/16". they run good for me. this may be more of an issue than just floats but see how that comes out first.

im thinking about getting a small demon insteadQUOTE]

LOL,Demon carbs Quality control at its best, LOL Your car would run better if you didn't have any carb at all and you paid a homeless person 5 bucks to sit on your motor and fart down the intake.

Reset the foats on the Eddy like Red said and it should be fine. They are one of the most reliable carbs out there. Just remember that 1 1/4 turns on the mixture screws is a good base setting for the Eddy carbs and final setting shouldn't be more than 2 1/2 turns from bottom.

What has been done to the carb since it was bought?

If it's dumping fuel down the throats it is either the floats set wrong or needle and seats not sealing properly or too much fuel pressure. Have you checked the fuel pressure? If you can that would be a good place to start. About 5-6 psi is all they like. I agree with Redfastback with the float setting. That has always worked good for me too. I should say as good as it gets for an edelbrock. I have been rebuilding carbs for over 25 yrs. and did many of the original AFB's and AVS's and they always worked great but these Edelbrock's run the idle circuit so lean if you have any cam to speak of it don't have enough vacuum to suck enough fuel and you usually end up adjusting the idle adjustments way out to get it to run half way decent. Then it sometimes has a low speed surge right off idle. They're a real easy carb. to work on. That's their only positive side I see. I've had much better luck with Holley's. Haven't tried the Demon carbs. Heard good and bad things about them but that can be said about most carbs.

set float level at 7/16" and float drop at 15/16". they run good for me. this may be more of an issue than just floats but see how that comes out first.

ill check that later.

im thinking about getting a small demon insteadQUOTE]

LOL,Demon carbs Quality control at its best, LOL Your car would run better if you didn't have any carb at all and you paid a homeless person 5 bucks to sit on your motor and fart down the intake.

Reset the foats on the Eddy like Red said and it should be fine. They are one of the most reliable carbs out there. Just remember that 1 1/4 turns on the mixture screws is a good base setting for the Eddy carbs and final setting shouldn't be more than 2 1/2 turns from bottom.

What has been done to the carb since it was bought?

nothings been done. the car dieseled and i saw some gas puddling at the bottom of the intake, which made me decide to rebuild it.

If it's dumping fuel down the throats it is either the floats set wrong or needle and seats not sealing properly or too much fuel pressure. Have you checked the fuel pressure? If you can that would be a good place to start. About 5-6 psi is all they like. I agree with Redfastback with the float setting. That has always worked good for me too. I should say as good as it gets for an edelbrock. I have been rebuilding carbs for over 25 yrs. and did many of the original AFB's and AVS's and they always worked great but these Edelbrock's run the idle circuit so lean if you have any cam to speak of it don't have enough vacuum to suck enough fuel and you usually end up adjusting the idle adjustments way out to get it to run half way decent. Then it sometimes has a low speed surge right off idle. They're a real easy carb. to work on. That's their only positive side I see. I've had much better luck with Holley's. Haven't tried the Demon carbs. Heard good and bad things about them but that can be said about most carbs.

i dont think it would be more than 5-6 psi since its just a stock mechanical pump...but ill check that too. it does have a small cam.

wish me luck folks

hey guys:wave:

i have some really awesome news.

are you ready?

ok

the bottom of my Edelbrock intake is cracked!

wow!

its gets even better!

i also have a nice mix of oil and coolant!

awesome!

wait one more surprise!

my oil smells like it came out a diesel.

oh im having the best night ever.

:violent2:

:idea1:

think i can tig weld the crack?

disgust

wow I'm really sorry to here that. How old is the manifold? don't you live some what near the plant? take it back and have them warranty it.

no i can't warranty it. it was on the car when i got it and that was about a year ago. im pretty sure they had it on there longer than a couple months.

im going to try and tig weld it on monday.

Man what a bummer. No wonder it didn't run right. Hope the coolant didn't hurt the bearings and stuff.

If your good with a tig you'll have no problem. A buddy of mine is real good with a tig. Heck he can weld a toilet paper roll to a corn cob.:rambo::---)

the coolant looks like its only sitting on top of the oil galley(?)
so im going to use some rags to try and soak it up.

my teacher said im a pretty good tig welder.
but it would be my first time with aluminum.
im going to try it on some scrap aluminum first.
if i can't tig it. my teacher can.

couldn't tig it. too much carbon in it. looks like im going to jb weld it.

just need a few more months out of it before the 383 swap.

-
Back