Eden pure heaters?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, problems with them?

I have been thinking about buying one for a back up heat source. I also found one's called Life Smart for almost half the price but it says they will heat a bigger area?

I have one in my garage, it does a decent job. My garage is basically one and a half bays and I run it all winter. I keep it on the lowest setting and that keeps the garage around 52 if i'm going to work all day I'll fire up the little propane heater I have to heat it up to around 70.

Only downsides are that when you hit the middle of winter when its below zero it runs almost nonstop. Electric bill goes up a bit too probably $1 a day average. I've had it for two winters so far though and it does the job.

OM-freekin-G

NOT THIS again!!!!

HERE IS THE simple truth on electric heaters.

BUY one locally at your hardware store. Or the thrift store. Or a garage sale.

ALL electric heat puts out the same heat per watt. There is no magic. There is no "loving handbuilt care" by "Amish whatever."

Electric heat, ALL electric heat, translates to a simple watts--to--BTU formula, and that is 3.414 BTU per watt, IE 3400 BTU per kilowatt

Because electric heat is resistive, this is a simple conversion of VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS, and then WATTS X 3.4, or KILOwatts X 3400 to get BTU

So a typical 12-1500 watt heater puts out between 4000 and 5000 BTU of heat.

You can dress an electric heater up in any clothes you want, but underneath all the TV BS it's still a resistive heater element

When you buy an Eden Pure, you are paying needless chrome plated commissions to people like Bob Vila

LOOK, heat comes down to COMPARING both energy costs and averaging out the cost of equipment in your area. If you contact your local utilities, the usually have comparisons available.

You find out your cost of electric power, and whether it has a peak demand in your area. Electric heat is essentially 100% efficient, so when you find the cost of power, you can translate this exactly into cost per BTU

Oil, nat. gas, and LP are a little different. For this you need the equipment EFFICIENCY, and you are going to have to figure the overall cost of the equipment, installation, and some maintenance. So called condensing, or "90+ %" furnaces do require more maintenance than 80% AFUE

So once you figure the cost of one of these, you need to add about another 20%, depending on the appliance, to figure this.

Depending on availability, installation costs, whether you can do the work, and of course cost of equipment, you may or may NOT be better off with electric heaters in say, 10 years from now.

OM-freekin-G

NOT THIS again!!!!

Well i'm sorry for asking a simple question about them! I didn't see any other threads about them and i was wondering about others who have used them and get their input!
Guess i'll know better next time!

...I like mine, its small has a good built in fan and a nice remote. I set it up in the fall out of the way and it works. Then in the spring i put it away, some people might not like them but in my case it works and I don't have the garage space or the extra electric to run a permanent setup

Just look at it this way, if I had 2 sets of J heads and one set was painted gold. I wanted $100.00 for the plain ones and $1000.00 for the gold painted ones, which would you buy. Thats what he's trying to tell you, save your money for the car!!

Well i'm sorry for asking a simple question about them! I didn't see any other threads about them and i was wondering about others who have used them and get their input!

Some people are a real tool "sometimes".

It was a good question, thanks for asking

I should have put LOL in there. I meant this to be a little more "light."

I realize you probably didn't honestly know

Put this into Google:

Edenpure, complaints

There is page after page of em. But the bottom line is the cost is not justified, as they don't cost less to run, nor do they put out any more heat, than the 30-50 dollar one you can buy "downtown."

Save yourself money now and long term and get this simple propane unit:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_37481-46631...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Puts out tremendous heat. Way too big so I run it on low and turn it off alot. I run a fan to stir the heat around the shop. It converts all your propane to heat in your shop. It does not vent any heat outside. It does create a very minimal amount of exhaust which is clear and clean but is co2 and co and h2o. This means you need to let fresh air in the shop occasionally. I open the pedestrian door once every few hours for a few minutes. Or have a window open a bit.

80K btu max on this one 120 bucks and also they have a larger one. Cheapest heat you can buy.

I hooked a bbq propane tank to it. Toasts me out in 10 minutes on high when it was 30 degrees in my shop. My shop is 400 sq ft so not big at all. This would work for a considerably larger shop I am sure. It is pretty quiet also.

Electric heat is not efficient in cost compared to propane. BTU vs. $
My opinion :)

Save yourself money now and long term and get this simple propane unit:

. It does create a very minimal amount of exhaust which is clear and clean but is co2 and co and h2o.

Electric heat is not efficient in cost compared to propane. BTU vs. $
My opinion :)

First that is an unvented open flame and can be VERY dangerous in a shop with stuff like fuel vapors, paint etc floating around

When I "was in heating" you had to have any combustion burner (I believe) 18" off the floor when installed in a garage. This may be more stringent in some locales and may have been upgraded since I was in this work

"Minimal exhaust." Propane does NOT create "minimal exhaust." While a PROPERLY working combustion appliance whether LP, gas, etc does not produce CO, it produces OTHER products which really aren't very good for you. Ventilation is important, and these types of heaters were NEVER designed for use in a closed area.

Also, these unvented heaters produce one HELL of a lot of water vapor, which when the shop cools back down, will condense all over everything cool.

Unvented appliances are illegal for use as room heaters in most locales, and for good reason.

Efficiency. Don't confuse "efficiency" with "cost of operation." This has to be figured as to the actuall usable BTU's output into the room, versus cost per unit of whatever, whether pounds of coal, gallons of oil, or kilowatts per orange juice.

All I'm saying is "BE AWARE" of what it is that you are doing, here.

I got the bigger Eden Pure - it doesn't use as much
juice as other electric heaters --

Sorry buddy. This is simply not true. You cannot change the laws of physics. Electric heat is simple --- so many watts in means so many watts out, and this applies to ALL electric heaters

If it's "cheaper to operate" it's because you are now heating a smaller space, or you have suddenly fallen below your local utilities "peak demand." Neither of these conditions has anything to do with what you paid for the heater, or the label on the side.

Any 10 dollar thrift store, or 40 dollar hardware store heater will do the same job as whatever the fancy boxed up you name it five easy payments to the whatever group of "we dress in black" of your choice.

A little common sense and a little ventilation (included in the common sense guide book) is all that is required for me. Other experiences and environments may differ.

I have not had any issue with moisture. I have seen a minimal amount of condensation on the ceiling.

I do leave my shop open from time to time though at night when it is not raining so this may be why I dont have any residual moisture and we have a relatively dry climate here.

Of course plumbing the exhaust outside removes the moisture and other exhaust products from the inside and makes the heater unit about 10 - 15 x more expensive too. It will produce a much dryer atmosphere inside and if you live in rainy wet areas you probably will have to do this to keep the humidity and moisture abated (as mentioned by 67dart).

Have you seen this (pic below)? Many shops use one or more to heat their shop. I have personally seen at least ten paint and body shops with these running while general priming and spot spraying in the common area (in other words they dont operate this heater inside the paint booth). It has a forced air kerosene combustion chamber it runs 500+ degrees on the metal at the outlet. No issues that I witnessed in my 20 years of seeing them in operation. Noisy machines though. Sounds like a friggin flame thrower. This unit produces waste exhaust which is probably not the best for you either and also of course produces moisture as a byproduct.

My propane heater has a great ROI for fuel because it does not waste any heat. It applies all the energy of burning propane to the interior of the building. Total initial investment is 175 including a brand new tank full propane tank.

Just my opinion of course. :D

First that is an unvented open flame and can be VERY dangerous in a shop with stuff like fuel vapors, paint etc floating around

When I "was in heating" you had to have any combustion burner (I believe) 18" off the floor when installed in a garage. This may be more stringent in some locales and may have been upgraded since I was in this work

"Minimal exhaust." Propane does NOT create "minimal exhaust." While a PROPERLY working combustion appliance whether LP, gas, etc does not produce CO, it produces OTHER products which really aren't very good for you. Ventilation is important, and these types of heaters were NEVER designed for use in a closed area.

Also, these unvented heaters produce one HELL of a lot of water vapor, which when the shop cools back down, will condense all over everything cool.

Unvented appliances are illegal for use as room heaters in most locales, and for good reason.

Efficiency. Don't confuse "efficiency" with "cost of operation." This has to be figured as to the actuall usable BTU's output into the room, versus cost per unit of whatever, whether pounds of coal, gallons of oil, or kilowatts per orange juice.

All I'm saying is "BE AWARE" of what it is that you are doing, here.

Attachments

• heater951.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,506
Get the Amish made electric heater. If anyone knows anything about electricity, it's the Amish, They defy physics. They know how to really make horsepower too.

My buddy has an Eden pure and loves it.

all I can say about the Eden Pure is that it heats better for cheaper. think it only uses 500 or 1000

Less wattage does not mean cheaper, it just means it uses less power AND PUTS OUT less heat. You are fooling yourself if you think there is any advantage to these pricey rip--offs. Do some Googleing. There are plenty of folks who got ripped off by these.

I have an Eden pure in my house I run it during the day in the winter. It raises my elec. bill by 50.00/month but saves me more than that in propane. It heats a room ok. I use it in my living room. My thermostat is also there so the heater isn't kicking on all the time. It might knock a little of the chill out of my garage but it sure wouldn't heat it. I use a propane fired space heater to heat mine.

67DART273 is correct. there is no changing OHMS LAW

The higher the wattage the more energy consumed. FACT

A 4000 watt heater will produce more heat than a 1500 watt heater but it will always consume more power when on.

Also wattage is wattage no matter how fancy one looks over the other

You cannot create more energy than you put in.

Unless of course you have a water fusion reactor that works which in that case email me!!!!!!!

Eden Pure is not made by Amish. Heat Surge is said to be, but the only part that's made by them is the wooden mantel part. The heater part is made in China which the Eden Pure most likely is too.
But if it helps take the chill off go for it.

I like the idea of a high quality powerful electric heater as a supplement. but....if you want cheap heat nothing beats a Stove burning Pea Coal. However, The EdenPure and other's lets you turn down your whole house heat setting and just heat the room you're mostly in. Thus saving $$

-
Back