Edie: The Dart

-
Mustang gas tank... I have a 20 gal '69 stang tank brand new... Where are you gona put the filler neck to?

Remeber that bumper I mentioned? Here is what I've done.

Just need to notch the bumper.

Not only will it be 50 lbs lighter, it will also feature: no lame shocks, nice and tight to the body, and have a receiver right behind the plate. ;)

Progress slow this week, I installed the assembly though. Run 12, 1" beads on the top and full bead on the front and I'm in business.

Nice work,Poison. Good bodywork is really mild torture,timewise.

Ok, bumper support finish welded in, leaf spring mounts welded on, and shackles made:

Shock mount welded in:

Welds cleaned off everything, Took axle out to touch the welds up, double check pinion angle, and repaint it, very close to sheet metal now. :blob:

Axle issues taken care of now, little bit more than I figured:

As I got into it, I found the tube to be bent, it had a 3/8" run-out, looking in the tube, the tube was bent toward the factory sway bar perches in the middle of the tube. Which speaks volumes of most axles. :\

I took safety glasses, Grade 70 chain, and a 20 ton jack and straightened the tube out. After about a day of playing with it, split into 2 parts to rest tired eyes, using the techniques found in this article, it came out very nice:

http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/diffstraighten.html

Scrubbed it down, and smoothed out the welds, and beat the backing plates straight.

Painted them up, Rustoleum undercoating:

Made some new perches:

So, letting the paint dry, and waiting on new tube seals, I spent the rest of the week cleaning and installing the deck lid hinge and package tray to deck filler supports in and fixing random holes in the filler panel.

A few projects left here, I've said it before, I will be glad when it's done, getting itchy to move up front. :)

I dig templates. :D

Should be pretty close to done getting it ready to weld in a few days into the week.

Done with the trunk for now, I'll come back later and finish it off:

A good time for a glimpse of the finish:

The vision:

Put the axle back together, straight!

Next stop, floor boards! \\:D/

Almost forgot to mention I took apart the decklid too, little heat released what was left of the adhesive:

Floor pans ripped out, and rails cleaned up

Torsion bar reinforcements installed, a long day of crawling under and welding isn't really fun, times like these a rotisserie would come in handy, would turn out cleaner welds too.

Driver:

Pass:

Transmission removed, awaiting crossmember cutout, mock-up and cross-member fab for 42RH swap, and new floor pans. :D

This seems to be going very smoothly. :blob:

Progress good.Eating undercoating and 40 years of wear,sucks. Looks good,keep rolling.

Hell 74,I did good.Traded a rusty 70 El Camino,for a mostly rust free Scamp. Agree ,on the even keel.

So here's progress over the last couple weeks:

Crossmember mockup:

In steel:

Welded and fit:

Finished product:

Last Saturday's little 4 hour project:

Decided to throw a 1/8" hoop on:

Hit with the 36 grit for panel adhesive:

Zapped in:

Took me a few hours and brushed, cleaned and painted the inner crossmembers:

To floor pans, away!:

Enjoy your weekend!

Cool, thanks for the support, not to complain, because I don't care that much, from looking at other builds, comments sure are scarce here. Usually 30+ comments before the first page turns. Must be the beak. :finga:

I love y'all anyway. Happy thread-a-versary!

Cool, thanks for the support, not to complain, because I don't care that much, but looking at other builds, comments sure are scarce here. Must be the beak. :finga:

I think it's looking great. Awesome work! I'll admit I look at progress way more then I comment lol.

Got some progress going on, slow but sure.

th_DSCN1432_zps860dcc19.jpg

th_DSCN1433_zps75b824a9.jpg

It fits well!

th_DSCN1437_zps01507473.jpg

th_DSCN1436_zps9b841e7c.jpg

Just a little more welding:

th_DSCN1439_zpsc8903957.jpg

Lots of great work on your dart, but i just have to ask if it was that rusty, why didnt you look for a cleaner body with less rust, and maybe use it for parts. I just had to ask.

Well, I didn't find a lot of the rot until I dug into it.

Then I had to make the decision: the cost of a new body vs. cost of making panels.

Pros and cons to both, my line of thinking goes like this:

For a clean car that's a couple grand right there, plus title transfer and whatever other problems that come with it.

I also know what went into it, and that every nook and cranny is free of rust, and sealed well. These car's aren't really know for their superior resistance to rot.

I know with any old car there are certain areas that are prone, and eventually I would be tearing into it anyway. Some places on this car I have been shocked at how little corrosion protection there was.

The whole reason I opted for this project was to get the bodywork experience, driving a clean car that will outlast it's previous incarnation is a byproduct. The trade off is the expense of time, rot standing in the way of fun mods, not being able to drive it sooner, and it can be a patience stretcher. But when it's done, the peace of mind should be orgasmic.

There was also a large amount of the "I might as well do it while I'm there."

Next project? I'll get the cleanest I can find, but If I have to replace a panel or two, I won't have to run to the hills if there is rot. :D

i agree

i guess im a bit spoiled living in west texas. the barracuda im working on had the typical spare tire well rust, , and really only required a small patch on the passenger side floorboard, but the PO cut thru the transmission cross frame that the torsion bars fit into. a dart 4 door V8 car was had at my local auction for $400 and gave up the entire floor pan and crossmember, as well as all the V8 stuff.

my car tho it looks a mess, and it is, spent its whole life in west texas. last registered in 1981 it sat, and the sun baked all the paint off the top surfaces. i call it a texas two tone LOL. looks like hell but pretty rust free and solid. view my photos, i have my metal work to the cuda in there.

i am doing a lot of metal work to mine, but wow yours is over the top. lots of work, looks real good too. i guess you wont have to worry about any rust after your done though. how about the front and back? are you keeping the original style front end? or going with a 70 to 72 front end clip?

cool thread, i cant wait to see it done

matt

Makes sense, cars really don't rust too hard around here, you slip up under any 30 year old car and nothing is really rusted, mild climate, the rain doesn't really bother them.

After seeing other cars in similar shape, the only thing I can account for so much rot is the fact it spent time in Alaska, probably by the sea, that 'a' pillar rot is classic salt air corrosion.

I'm keeping the original style to it, the one too many folks seem embarrassed of, I'm gonna rock it.

BTW, I will be done with fabrication shortly, I've got a few small projects left, then weld up the k-member and LCA. After that, the rest of the panels will be better served by washing them up, slinging some body adhesive on them and paint them. It should go pretty quick because everything is stripped, ready to go.

Yes, I dream about it. :D

-
Back