Edie: The Dart

-
Nice work,try to compliment,your work. No one ever pays attention ,to dirty bodywork threads. Then ,you apply paint.Every one goes"Ohhh,that's nice.How can I do that?". Not all sweetness.

P.M ,Poison Dart: Whatever you do,don't let that girl in your avatar,ever,ever,ever ,drive your car!(lol!).

Thanks, that's the vibe I get, and I've thought the same thing: as soon as the paint comes up, people are gonna be swinging from my sack.

Oh, how they forget about the rest of the 90% of work it takes to get'r done.

I will NOT let woman in avatar even close to my lady parts, that's why she is there, to remind me to be careful. :D

Speaking of sweetness I made some progress this week, pulled the steering column, finished both floor pans, and started working on my access holes for that 'a' pillar that was mentioned a little bit ago, here, have some pics:

It felt good to lay that last weld.

Under pieces welded just gotta put the skin on, back and front.

Tons of work into this one! Great job! I was relieved just getting my chin spoiler made. I couldn't handle that much metal work.:prayer:

The way your going, paint will happen soon enough and besides. even a 'glue job' can look good in pics. ooh...Aaa...Shiney...
Forget about that. I just spent over an hour going through this thread.. Amazing! Love the details. Will be cool to know when you are driving it, that you 'fingerprinted' pretty much every inch of it inside and out. You won't need to guess if something was done. Wish I had time to be that thorough.

Thanks for the comments, doing my best while I'm here, This project is rather large, that's why I have to compartmentalize, and balance enjoying the work, and getting it done so I can keep moving. I want to drive it sooner than later!

Here is what I've been up to in the last week, small parts on my way to the bay.

A couple "Monday" projects should put me firmly into the engine bay. It's hard to believe I'm getting to the bottom of the fab and sheet metal work. I bet the rest of what's left will feel like a warm summer breeze, time wise, compared. It had to be done though.

Thanks for the comments, doing my best while I'm here, This project is rather large, that's why I have to compartmentalize, and balance enjoying the work, and getting it done so I can keep moving. I want to drive it sooner than later!

Here is what I've been up to in the last week, small parts on my way to the bay.

A couple "Monday" projects should put me firmly into the engine bay. It's hard to believe I'm getting to the bottom of the fab and sheet metal work. I bet the rest of what's left will feel like a warm summer breeze, time wise, compared. It had to be done though.
you do great work,it will show when your done...=P~

Hey y'all here is that perfect Monday project:

It's a good feeling to have that 'A' pillar rot under control, everything else is everything else.

I hopped into the bay and stripped off all the stuff off the engine and the front valance:

Then proceeded to remake my engine mounts, yeah, I could by them but they sure are pricey, and there is something about rolling your own. :D

Last time I kind of winged it, not knowing there was a measurement to go by, giving header clearance issues galore.

Thanks to TTI footnotes #32, SB factory measurements are: 2 3/8 offset to passenger side frame rail to center of crank, and 5 7/8 from the top of K frame to center of crank.

They fit well, taking my time I'll have about 4 days into them start to finish. Sure was enjoyable! Engine weight is on them this weekend, I'll buzz them together on Monday and move on to the next project.

Happy Weekend!

Hi, been doing K-frame and LCA cleaning and reinforcement work, should be wrapped up shortly. I just have welding on the K-frame left.

It was pretty greasy, I took compressed air and a blowgun tip at 125psi and blew out the crap especially in the cracks and crevices, then washed it, worked out well.

I Also installed new LCA bushings, and offset UCA bushings.

Drivers side LCA pipe was blown out, of course:

Working my way around:

Awesome job poison-I particularly like your perspective on repairing rust vs searching for/buying a "clean" slate.

Thoughts like that, and seeing others repair just as much if not more damage makes me want to repair the rot in my '72 Scamp and keep the other '72 I bought from shansen and maybe mess around with it too...maybe one small block, one big block? :)

In any case-you're doing some awesome work, and I'll be watching while I'm away from my projects.

Jeff

So here is this week's progress:

I didn't go nutso on the K-member, just touched up welds, fixed the crack in the LCA pin area, did the perimeter 1" ever 2" and added a tow hook, and cleaned it off with a wire wheel. About 8 hours of work. It wasn't a hard job, well worth the time invested, it should fair very well in the corners!

Onto the engine bay, did it in 3 days. \\:D/

Thanks, aircraft stripper!

Poppin' in for a little update, not much to speak of pictorially, but enough. I Did a bunch of behind the scenes work, organization, took a scrap yard run, and back-flowed the water jackets.

Stripped the old paint off the engine, going body color:

Chopped in the a/c box, thanks DionR!

Bent it with needle nose pliers, finished it with hammer and dolly:

Smoothed the holes:

About 8 hours of work, it was easy actually. But then again, I'm getting alright at this metal work thing. Next week, on to some body panels hopefully!

Nice,what color? (I usually miss all the juicy details.).
BTW, Txstang posted:Awesome job poison-I particularly like your perspective on repairing rust vs searching for/buying a "clean" slate.
I'm different than most. Would rather buy a semi rusted O.G ride,with original panel gaps. On the low buck lowdown,it has worked for me in the long run.

Hey Woodrick,
That color looks really good and will look even better on the swinger. Hope you get the storage situation settled and get to work on it more.
If ya ever need anything or wanna talk shoot me a PM Bud
Emilio

I agree with you, I wanted this project to go that way, but the rust ran deep, and I was baited by a challenge. Never the less, it's been a very cool experience, How many chances does one get to take time off work and life to go full hard-on into a car? Rarely.
Bingo! Done 2 ,so far.Cuss words,every minute. When it's done,it's mine.Glad somebody gets it.......

Wassap yawl, I've been doing a lot of odds and ends this week, I got to work a bit on the dart, got all the misc holes in the engine bay and firewall filled out.

Got the cowl area preped out minus paint and panel adhesive:

And a bunch of organization, cleaning, and setup of the work space so it flows better. :)

So I did a lot of behind the scenes welding, getting these panels loaded ready to attach; I did the cowl, rockers, door jambs, inner regulators, all ready to be cleaned, painted and installed.

I went ahead and pre-fitted them so there are no surprises. I've got the cowl and a rocker on.

Decided to throw it together for kicks:

Quarter panel should be easy to deal with in this area:

Oh, and one more thing...... Seam sealer!!!

This is going to be one amazing Dart . Lots of great ideas , like the gas tank , 22 gallons with the rear filler tube . Great idea . This is one special Dart . Can't wait to see the car on the street !
If you ever get a free month or 2 I have a 340 4 speed Dart that could use a bit of your poison . So far it's just a body with no doors or front fenders , has k frame and suspension , wish I had your skills .

Thank you for the kind words, sir. Had to take a couple weeks off to do an engine build.

I'm back full force now; it's time for an update!

Little fender fix:

Welding stuff back together:

Weld thru primer; inner door structure:

Side impact beams are good!

Installing it up:

Tacked together, ready for full weld next week!

It's coming together quick!

Usually 30+ comments before the first page turns. Must be the beak. :finga:

I'm keeping the original style to it, the one too many folks seem embarrassed of, I'm gonna rock it. :D

I don't know how I missed this thread before but kudos to you PoisonDart74 on saving another 74 from death and not turning it into a 70-72 Beaks Rule!!!
Keep up the great work.

-
Back